Thoughts on Patreon

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Thoughts on Patreon

Unread postby runsamok » January 23rd, 2015, 5:31 pm

The AuthorLord has received several petitions from fans to set up a Patreon account. He has deigned to respond to this request by setting up an account, but asks that his faithful readers provide input on what generous gifts he could bestow upon them. The most basic level would provide access to chapters of his original fiction. He would also continue writing his fanfiction stories.

Sample bonus:
A cameo in the next chapter

Please brainstorm ideas here!
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Re: Thoughts on Patreon

Unread postby JamestheFox » January 24th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Here's a few I've heard of:

Monthly (or weekly or every two months, or really just at regular intervals) one-hour chats with folks regarding the various works he's working on, open to people above a certain threshold of donations...

Sneak peaks at upcoming chapters. This can be, like... a single paragraph, every (regular interval). Or, perhaps as a higher-tier reward, when sending chapters to the betas, the folks at a high enough level of donations get a copy. You MIGHT want to have a non-disclosure agreement for these. Maybe.

Ummm... that be all I got.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby runsamok » January 24th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

So, to add to the list:
A cameo in the next chapter
Sneak peaks at upcoming chapters
one-hour chats with folks
Sincerely,

runsamok

Unread postby Bezzerker » January 24th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Another reward might be helping to outline a small side-plot; like coming up with a mission for another of the team to use when the Rookies get together to swap stories, seeing what it's like at the two Team 8 restaurants when they aren't there, etc.

All subject to final approval by the Authorlord of course.
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby runsamok » January 28th, 2015, 5:54 am

Interesting suggestion, Bezzerker. Thanks for submitting! The hard part isn't generating the ideas, but actually doing the writing and getting the words on paper. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to shortcut that process. =) However, I'm sure that Matthew would be happy to brainstorm with readers!
Sincerely,

runsamok

Unread postby RavynousHunter » February 15th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Hrm...in the vein of a video chat thingy, maybe access to a private (monthly or maybe quarterly) livestream where he could field questions and such from the people who've donated?
RavynousHunter

Unread postby jedifan » February 17th, 2015, 2:03 am

I think that what sort of rewards Viridian should and can offer depends upon two factors: how much he wants/needs/expects to make from the Patreon each month, and what sort of tiers he wants to offer. I only mention this because I don't want to see him try to do something and then have the popularity of it overwhelm him as has happened to some kickstarter projects and Patreons. Something would like to see as a patreon reward is to have Viridian go through his writing process from brainstorming to final proof for individual chapters.
jedifan

Unread postby gwillen » February 20th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Reward... you mean we can get rewards too? :-)

As a Patreon user and a NoFP reader, I assure you the ability to give a donation for each new chapter written would be its own reward! (I understand that if you guys go with the 'per chapter' rather than 'per month' option, it would probably have to be all fics together -- that would just give me some incentive to go read the other fics, I guess!)

That said, I'd love the chance to read things early, or chat with the author. But mostly I just want a way to publicly pledge money for future chapters in the hope that it can get us more future chapters!
gwillen

Unread postby Nitramy » March 7th, 2015, 11:10 am

Like I said in my review, if we can expect a consistent schedule of updates, I will be donating to the Authorlord's Patreon.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Return to “%s” General Discussion