Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 10th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Well, time to start up another Random thread.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Re: Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 10th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Another new insanity thread?!

I feel old.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 10th, 2011, 10:00 pm

A little early, but that shouldn't matter:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » November 10th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Out of confusion, I must ask. I thought the old thread was going to go to two hundred pages?
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » November 10th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Indeed TK it doesn't matter.
Rest in Peace Veterans..
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 11th, 2011, 12:49 am

The blood on the modhammer was almost dry? ;)
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Darkandus » November 11th, 2011, 12:46 pm

URGH! I can't even believe this. I have my new laptop for less than a week and the thing craps out on me. Faulty junk. Ah well, thats what the warrenty is for, and I'm busy this weekend anyway.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 11th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Only one modhammer? With us, you know he needed many, considering how often we came back for more.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » November 11th, 2011, 6:57 pm

You have my sympathies, Darkandus.
Cookies to usher in the new thread, anyone?
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby doc.exe » November 12th, 2011, 1:31 am

So, the Government Secretary (at the risk of falling into a gross oversimplification, he is the closest thing we have to a Vice-President) just died in a helicopter crash... Like one of his predecessors did. The two of them died just in this presidential term by the way...

Yeah, Mexico is pretty much screwed, but what else is new? :oh_noes:
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby doc.exe » November 14th, 2011, 11:39 am

And, on a less depressing note, I managed to see some old action movies during the weekend (Commando, Universal Soldier).

It's astonishing how cheesy they can be, yet still strangely entertaining.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Farmer_10 » November 15th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I am on a bit of a cartoon kick atm and am trying to see episodes of an old Cartoon Network original by the name of Kids Next Door. Google has failed me. My searches for online streaming videos have been unsuccesful. Before I resort to putting my computer through what I'm sure is going to be a 48 hour downloading crucible, does anyone have any idea where I can see these things online?
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Wittgen » November 16th, 2011, 1:24 am

Torrent if that is an option. Or buy official DVDs, but I had little luck finding them when I searched amazon. Maybe they're around somewhere. I didn't look super hard.
Wittgen

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 16th, 2011, 8:45 am

I remember universal soldier, still have it on dvd, lol.

I loved that show.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Farmer_10 » November 16th, 2011, 11:31 am

Frak it, the crucible it is.
Farmer_10

Unread postby serbii » November 17th, 2011, 5:35 am

A crucible exploded at work today.
God I hate it when things explode in the lab. I mean, normally loud noises are something boiling over and making a mess of the hotplate or the odd beaker breaking for no reason (also on hotplates). But this time the crucible just randomly shattered and coated everything with the oily gunk, made way too big a mess, burned onto the hotplate, and then when I plugged the it back in after hosing out the fume cupboard and scrubbing everything out, it shorted the cupboard out.

:indifferent:

It was just one of those days.
serbii

Unread postby Vael » November 17th, 2011, 6:17 am

Something CHEMISTRY! related, right? 'Cause it's not CHEMISTRY! (a branch of SCIENCE!) unless something explodes.

On a more serious noted, what could lead to such explosions anyways?
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby serbii » November 17th, 2011, 6:54 am

Yes, CHEMISTRY is involved, but in this case I think there must have been a crack in the crucible and it was sitting at, ahh, I dunno, those hotplates get up to like 350-400C but it wasn't that hot... 100-200C maybe? And then it decided "You know what would be great? Shattering!" And so it broke and the oily watery crap got dumped in the hot plate and does what oily watery crap is wont to do when dumped on a slab of metal at several hundred degrees.

The general cause of most mishaps in my lab is overheating, the chemistry itself is reasonably straight forward.
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » November 17th, 2011, 11:45 am

Jeez, that's pretty sucky, at least you don't have to work on the volatile "if I explode at the wrong time you're so dead it isn't even funny" chemicals.

At least, I hope you don't. :scared:
Darkandus

Unread postby Farmer_10 » November 17th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I find it funny that I mention a crucible and then one explodes. Life, huh?
Farmer_10

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 18th, 2011, 1:27 am

Even more interesting, considering what our Australian friend works with on a regular basis.

So, Serbii, how many Sv was the mess? Or was this one of the friendlier things you often play with?
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby serbii » November 18th, 2011, 4:09 am

I don't use much in the way of death explosion chemicals. Well, 18M/98% pure sulphuric acid, 70% nitric acid, can't remember what the HCl is and 30% ammonia. Also I make aqua regia. But that's just working with really strong acids rather than working with 'going to explode and kill us all' chemicals. Plus that's reagent grade, the sulphuric acid we actually use is 9M (heh, only). It's a bugger to make up the stock though >_>
So, Serbii, how many Sv was the mess? Or was this one of the friendlier things you often play with?
It was just from a storage tank, I couldn't tell you how much a litre (could find out Monday if I really wanted) but not enough to cause contamination issues. Most of the stuff I deal with is environmental samples, and from what I've found I'd have a bigger exposure just working in the desert than I do working in a testing lab. O_o
serbii

Unread postby someone » November 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm

So far I've only seen one implosion and one explosion in the lab (both small), although one guy did manage to blow up a gas chromatograph a few years back (I wasn't there). I've worked with proteins most of my lab time, not much potential for mayhem there...
someone

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » November 18th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Computer's broke, but my dad let me have his old notebook laptop.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Arganaut » November 19th, 2011, 2:27 am

Nathan O. Crescenzi
1929-2011
A loving husband, father and grandfather
Arganaut

Return to “%s” General Discussion