Not having email set in account settings post-forum-crash

Please post suggestions for making the Viridian Dreams forum better here!

Not having email set in account settings post-forum-crash

Unread postby Phht » March 2nd, 2011, 2:17 am

I recently was out of town due to family emergency and went to log in here on a computer that I'm not always logged in on. And it turns out that I apparently can't remember my password (I tried enough times that it was all "dude, need to do the captcha to prove you aren't a bot" before giving up on trying to remember). So I went to "forgot my password" where I discovered that my email and username weren't linked for whatever reason.

Given that the "forgot your password" thing indicates that the email would've been set at account creation if it hadn't been changed afterward, it should have had the email I was trying to use since that's my only email address at all for the past 3ish years. Having gotten home and checking via my always-logged-in-computer, I see there's no email listed at all for me in settings. So I'm wondering if the email entries were wiped during the recent forum crash.

Also, how the hell do I set my email if I can't remember my password (which was the entire reason for needing to get my email entered since it's not in there currently)?
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Re: Not having email set in account settings post-forum-cras

Unread postby Nebula1701 » March 2nd, 2011, 2:52 am

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit account settings > edit email

then you must enter your password at the bottom before submitting for changes to stick.
Nebula1701

Yahoo Messenger: nebula1701@gmail.com
AOL: nebula1701

Unread postby Phht » March 2nd, 2011, 11:56 am

You must've missed part of the question, maybe the "if I can't remember my password" part.

I can't set my email because I can't remember my password. And I can't get my password until I set my email. I'm just hoping I don't get logged out, because then I won't be able to log back in. I wonder if that's the issue that caused others to have to create new accounts because they can't seem to log in to their original ones.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Lthayer3 » March 2nd, 2011, 3:34 pm

I'd recommend seeing this topic. I was assigned a temporary password so that I could log in and do stuff again after the incident. Forbin or whoever will probably do the same for you.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Phht » March 2nd, 2011, 5:48 pm

Ah hah. I never had the issue before because I managed to log in before I ended up forgetting the password (and didn't have the unknown#### issue) and thus didn't think to check the email settings. And I was pretty tired and not feeling like searching in case this had been covered. :leaving:

Thanks.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby runsamok » August 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Hello,

In general, when we recreated the accounts, most of the accounts didn't have any contact information available after recovery. So there was no email address available for password reset and a temp password was set up just so we could associate forum posts with the appropriate users. Slowly but surely, as people come back to the forum, they say "hmmm can't log in" and we get it fixed. =)
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Return to “%s” Suggestions Box