Who's the 'agent in place'? *spoilers for latest chapters*

Re: Who's the 'agent in place'? *spoilers for latest chapter

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 9th, 2011, 9:56 am

True, but then fanon Draco (and canon sometimes) has proven himself rather easy to manipulate. Even Harry could have the boy doing his bidding if his hatred of the ferret wasn't so strong.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Rebel » November 10th, 2011, 7:03 pm

A couple interesting definitions of "Agent in Place" I found:

Noun 1. agent-in-place - an operative serving as a penetration into an intelligence target

Or

An employee of one intelligence agency who, of his or her own initiative, offers services to a rival or enemy agency. The agent-in-place continues to work for the first agency, and feed information to the second one.

This implies that the Agent in Place has already penetrated into the "target" (IE, Harry Potter's inner circle) and is not someone who would be on the outside, such as a Slytherin. This is made more credible by the Agent in Place's knowledge of certain events, people, etc that he should never have easily have known unless he had direct access to certain sources on information who were both in the know and trusted him, or received the information directly from Harry.
Rebel

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » December 5th, 2011, 1:49 am

This implies that the Agent in Place has already penetrated into the "target" (IE, Harry Potter's inner circle) and is not someone who would be on the outside, such as a Slytherin. This is made more credible by the Agent in Place's knowledge of certain events, people, etc that he should never have easily have known unless he had direct access to certain sources on information who were both in the know and trusted him, or received the information directly from Harry.
Now there's anice new theory. But unless theyre's under the imperious curse orpolyjuiced I doubt anyone in Harry's in circle would help Voldemort . And then there's that on clip that mentioned a week's worth of detention right after a bunch of Slytherins had gotten that punishment for something. Perhaps not one of Harry inner circle but perhaps someone in one of the years closely associated with Harry's inner Circle
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby Rebel » December 5th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Now there's anice new theory. But unless theyre's under the imperious curse orpolyjuiced I doubt anyone in Harry's in circle would help Voldemort . And then there's that on clip that mentioned a week's worth of detention right after a bunch of Slytherins had gotten that punishment for something. Perhaps not one of Harry inner circle but perhaps someone in one of the years closely associated with Harry's inner Circle
The Imperius doesn't seem likely since the Agent in Place seems to think and act freely, but Polyjuice is certainly an option. One problem with plotting the Agent's actions and ruling out suspects is that one can't be sure which acts were carried out directly by the Agent and which ones were done by his "cat's paws", as he so describes his accomplice(s), who is(are) apprently being manipulated by him for his own ends.
Rebel

Unread postby TeflonBilly » June 9th, 2012, 2:05 pm

From my reading of the story and from looking at everyones theories here, my theories/guesses are:

1. It is not Draco, unless Draco has multiple personality disorder, the AIP states pretty clearly (though not by name) that he drugged Draco to make him act erratic but that it didn't lead to the results the AIP wanted.

2. It is not a time traveler, any musings about timelines by the AIP were in the context of what the AIP thought SHOULD be happening with regards to the Diary and the Chamber of Secrets, not the "original" timeline that Harry came from. The AIP and his Patron are disappointed things aren't going in accordance to their plan of killing muggle-borns and discrediting Arthur Weasley.

3. In my opinion, the AIP is an adult but one that is either constantly walking around under a invisibility cloak or disillusionment so they aren't seen. Or entirely differently, they are polyjuiced to look like a student (which they have murdered/disposed of) which from their praise of Ravenclaw, I'm leaning towards them being a Ravenclaw in origin, but are masquerading as a Slytherin (which is why the AIP has such easy access/info on Slytherin activity and is able to push them to do what he wants from the shadows.)

4. It isn't Snape, the AIP is still at Hogwarts and Snape is at Durmstrang.

5. It isn't the sorting hat horcrux possessing anyone, it is pretty clear that horcrux in no way has possession of the sorting hat's sentience, and just lays dormant. If it could possess people there would have been several better candidates to possess and would have happened much much sooner to Voldemort's death in Godric's Hollow.

By the way, I think that Snape has been successfully transitioned from being an explicit villain (from the beginning of the story and before the author had read DH) to being still a deep cover agent for Dumbledore but now working out of Durmstrang to keep his cover. I think that his OOC extreme over the top antagonism to Harry's occlumency and drive to get him expelled (from the knowledge that we have from DH) can just be chalked up to temporary insanity due to not being able to rifle through Harry's mind.

TB
TeflonBilly

Unread postby Kitty-Chan » October 25th, 2012, 5:08 pm

I think the "only mind being worthy" comment was still about being Slytherin. Look at most of them. They blatantly attack Potter, openly badmouth him, are SEEN repeatedly sabotaging him. That's not sly. That's not clever. That's just dumb.

To be truly sly, you need to be smart, yes. But you need to be able to manipulate people without getting caught. You run things from BEHIND the scenes, which is what a TRUE Slytherin would do. Look at Slughorn during potions, and you'll see what I mean.
A TRUE Slytherin would make sure they were sorted into a different house. No sense letting people know what you are.
Wouldn't work; the Sorting Hat sees all.
Okay, you guys are all right that Harry's too noble to do something like that. Now me on the other hand, I'm a right damn bastard, and a child killer's gonna get no mercy from me. I'd want the little *censored*'s torment to last, to make him truly regret killing the kid, and then when he begs for mercy, lean down real close and ask him, very softly, if the girl begged for mercy before he killed her. And then I'd walk away.
Same; this is probably why we get along so well. :devil

& now for my completely different theory: it is either Crabbe or Goyle. Hear me out! Both are definitely close enough to manipulate & drug Draco, & it would definitely be the height of cunning to pretend to be an idiot so as to get in position to pull stuff off & not be suspected. Who would suspect a moron of cunning? & I sincerely doubt a complete moron would be sorted into Slytherin, so they have to be there for some reason. I also believe that the patron is Lucius because of one particular line:

Well, his 'patron' wanted him to use all means at his disposal, and he'd done so. Whether those means would be good for anything afterward was not his problem. The last communication he'd received had been quite clear on that point. The objective must be achieved.
This to me indicates that the agent is well aware that Lucius might object to his son being used that way, but hey, he didn't say not to. :lech Trust me, this is a very common way to get around things, :halo & offers a nice way of getting back at Draco for having to play at being his sycophant.

I was amazed that no one had put this idea forward, as it seems obvious to me.
Kitty-Chan

Unread postby PeachWookiee » August 11th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Given that the mastermind hates Weasleys... what about Fudge?
PeachWookiee

Unread postby FullofSeoul » December 10th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Crazy theory here. Not much proof behind it, but it sounded pretty awesome in my head.

What if the AIP is taking the guise of Cho Chang? :O_O:

Like Cho actually did die, in Mungo or otherwise, and he is keeping her DNA to continuously make Polyjuice potion. Creepy...

Idk, the musings of an insane man.
FullofSeoul

Unread postby PeachWookiee » January 28th, 2014, 2:11 pm

I'm leaning toward Fudge myself, now. He's shown himself to be rather dangerous...
PeachWookiee

Unread postby PeachWookiee » February 12th, 2014, 4:23 pm

The agent in place is either a Hogwarts student or masquerading as one. Chapter 22 seems to point to this. If it's someone in Harry's year, the suspects in his own house might be Seamus or Dean... Or possibly Neville.
ETA: Crap... I really hope I'm wrong, having read chapter 21 over again in my research for my own fic. But our agent in place is an expert at Wizarding chess... which means it's possibly a Weasley! :TT_TT:
PeachWookiee

Unread postby MantisFA » March 3rd, 2015, 8:22 pm

I'm pretty certain the agent is a Slytherin. "One of the few minds worthy of his House" says Slytherin or Ravenclaw to me. A Ravenclaw ruthless enough to be working on behalf of the Death Eaters would probably have been willing to risk killing Cho by stunning her during Quidditch practice, but Melissa Bulstrode was stabbed to death in the Slytherin stands. Also, the agent is in a position not only to plot with Malfoy, but to feed him potions without his knowledge (see the short passage from the agent's point of view in Chapter 25); that suggests that he's living in the same House and dining at the same table.

The fact, also established in Chapter 25, that Draco is considered an expendable cat's-paw by not only the agent but his patron is interesting; it suggests either that the patron is someone other than Lucius Malfoy, or that Lucius in this story is a lot more ruthless with respect to his own flesh and blood than he was in canon.

All-in-all, I think the agent is probably an original character, not any of the named Slytherins from the books; he's probably somewhat older than Harry and company, and possibly a prefect (maybe even the one Melissa argued with at the end of Year 2), which would give him more freedom to move about the castle than most students.
MantisFA

Unread postby Dechstreme » May 27th, 2015, 9:58 am

If it had been the student Melissa argued with, that would make for quite a twist, seeing as he's basically only been used for a throwaway scene. One never expects a character that only appeared once explicitly to be such an important figure.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby RavynousHunter » May 28th, 2015, 3:30 pm

I'm not sure it is a Slytherin, since that would be...kinda painfully obvious, given that the AiP has performed dark acts. Dark, but not necessarily evil. Think about it: we know he's aware of Harry's time travel, he's also likely aware of the many, MANY ways that this timeline can go straight to hell. His acts, while dark, might be in preventing outright calamity like Voldemint winning or, much worse, a war with the muggles that the wizarding world couldn't possibly win. He's keeping Harry on task, in a way, keeping him focused and the actions that we can likely attribute to him (such as a certain death) may be in helping Harry keep proper perspective on things and keep him from becoming too careless. The better-prepared and more wary Harry and his comrades become, the more likely they'll be to not only survive the next war, but to also end it victoriously without coming perilously close to losing the masquerade.

My guess?
Spoiler: show
Dumbledore's portrait told General Hastings what Harry did, Hastings went back in time, and is currently training and bankrolling the agent-in-place. We know the two will have contact in the old timeline, and Dumbledore was dubious about Harry's plan to begin with. The agent-in-place would be an insurance policy to keep things from going to hell again.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby SiblingCreature » May 28th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Think about it: we know he's aware of Harry's time travel, he's also likely aware of the many, MANY ways that this timeline can go straight to hell.
We do? Based on what? I don't remember any references that would indicate that the AIP knows anything about the time travel.

Whoever is pulling the strings (I suspect Umbridge) is using the AIP (and wormtail I think) to pursue their own agenda. I think the only link to the time travel is that something Harry did since coming back provided the opportunity for that person to act, that they didn't have in the original timeline.

-SC
SiblingCreature

Unread postby RavynousHunter » May 31st, 2015, 1:39 pm

He mentions planning for contingencies and "setting up the board in such a way that winning was inevitable." The only real way to do that, with any hope of success, is to understand with what, or whom, you're dealing. Manipulating the actions of a person without knowing them is a very difficult task. Manipulating the course of events around a person must take into consideration the person's psychology and experiences to understand how they'll react in a given situation. Its almost certain that he's attempting to manipulate Harry, or at least manipulating events surrounding him in such a way that he achieves his goals. To do that without understanding where Harry's coming from is as dangerous as it is stupid, and the agent-in-place is anything but stupid. Given these facts, it is reasonable to assume that he is at least aware of not only Harry's status as a time traveler, but of at least some potential future events.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 31st, 2015, 2:07 pm

I think you may be reading a bit too far into it personally. The person making that statement could simply believe that they know what they need to know in order to make their plans work enough that no matter what they come out with a win. You don't need future knowledge for that, you just have to be good enough at reading people to correctly estimate how they'll react to certain scenarios, and plan accordingly.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby NobleKorhedron » May 31st, 2015, 2:22 pm

I'm not so sure; I think this agent is either in the know about Harry coming back and out to wreck things, or is an agent of Voldemort recurited since the timeline changed and is STILL out to wreck things..... :oh_noes:
Regards,

NK.

Give me a sense of humor Lord, give me the grace to see a joke. To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
NobleKorhedron

Unread postby RavynousHunter » May 31st, 2015, 4:51 pm

I think you may be reading a bit too far into it personally. The person making that statement could simply believe that they know what they need to know in order to make their plans work enough that no matter what they come out with a win. You don't need future knowledge for that, you just have to be good enough at reading people to correctly estimate how they'll react to certain scenarios, and plan accordingly.
I don't know, that just seems to stretch the boundaries of believability, for me. I can't precisely say why, but it just doesn't make sense for him to have the kind of motivation he seems to possess and, at the same time, not know how badly things can turn out. Being ready and willing to kill and drug people for one's goals, to me, either speaks of a severely disturbed mental state or someone acting with the knowledge that their actions are preventing something far worse from coming about.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby SiblingCreature » June 1st, 2015, 12:58 pm

I don't know, that just seems to stretch the boundaries of believability, for me. I can't precisely say why, but it just doesn't make sense for him to have the kind of motivation he seems to possess and, at the same time, not know how badly things can turn out. Being ready and willing to kill and drug people for one's goals, to me, either speaks of a severely disturbed mental state or someone acting with the knowledge that their actions are preventing something far worse from coming about.
I think you're ascribing far too much personal motivation to the AiP. The specific motivation behind the AiP's plans is that they've been given a specific task with a specific deadline by their Patron. The ultimate personal motivation of the Agent is whatever it is that they get out of whatever deal they've made with their Patron. (EDIT: or whatever it is that their Patron has over them)

Agents don't need to know the overall context of what they are doing, only what they need to know in order to fulfil their assigned task. The agent may even have been mislead by their Patron as to the real reason for what they are doing. (As was demonstrated by the episode with the IRA bomber in the later chapters.)

That said, In my most recent re-readings of the text I've gleaned a few impressions about the AiP's Patron.

1) I believe that the event that triggered the Patron's scheming against Harry was the arrest of Peter Pettigrew, or perhaps more specifically Harry's attempts to get Sirius exonerated, which would surely be viewed as embarrassing to the Ministry. Harry's subsequent attack on the Ministry in his interview with Skeeter would only have added fuel to the fire.
2) Before Chapter 38 Peter Pettigrew was last known to have been in Ministry custody.
3) When Pettigrew pondered if he might not be safer "serving another" at the end of Chapter 39, I suspect that was him approaching a decision to break away from his current Master and seek out Voldemort instead. (The timing would be right for it, as it lines up with when he went looking for Voldemort in the original timeline, and there has been shown to be a certain parallelism between timelines.)

That suggests to me that:
1) The Patron is the same party that planned the bombing of the gate to let the Dementors into the school.
2) The Patron not Voldemort.
3) The Patron is someone in a position of considerable power, possibly someone high in the Ministry hierarchy. (My current suspect is Umbridge)
4) The Patron's main initial source of information about Harry and Sirius was a thorough interrogation of Pettigrew.

Nothing in any of this suggests to me that the Patron has any knowledge of Harry's future knowledge.

-SC
SiblingCreature

Unread postby RavynousHunter » June 2nd, 2015, 9:49 am

While that might be true, the agent's actions do seem, to me, to be at least somewhat personally motivated. I don't think he's necessarily out to help or harm Harry, either, simply prevent disaster. If he were hired to harm Harry, or at least his social and political clout, then he'd likely be spreading more disinformation instead of directly acting. I think it was also mentioned in the author's notes that Pettigrew's current master, the one that ordered the IRA attack, is Voldemint. Wormy's always been a flighty coward with fluctuating allegiances, even in canon. Hell, that's why he died. Besides, blackmail only gets you so far. If the Patron has something on the Agent, then the Agent may well be working in secret to thwart the Patron's plans in subtle ways; blackmail does not breed loyalty, it breeds deceit. The Agent is loyal to his goals, at least from the way I understand his actions. That, to me, suggest that it isn't something like blackmail that's keeping him going, its something more altruistic, like preventing a calamitous war with the muggles. A more...refined form of my previous theory:
In the original timeline, the war with the muggles happened. The masquerade was broken and the muggles were rightfully pissed at the barbarians at the gate, as it were. As the wizards were losing, Hastings' adviser, Dumbledore's portrait, revealed to the general what Harry had done, basically creating an alternate timeline. As they hashed it out, they realized there was still a distinct possibility that Harry's new timeline might suffer a break of the masquerade, too, and so Hastings sent his knowledge back the same way Harry did (the war was all but lost at that point) and contacted a few friends in Britain, and eventually ended up with the Agent whom he'd trained and turned him into a loyal tool of disaster prevention.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby SiblingCreature » June 2nd, 2015, 11:06 am

I think it was also mentioned in the author's notes that Pettigrew's current master, the one that ordered the IRA attack, is Voldemint.
I don't think so. I just went back and reviewed all the Author's Notes from chapter 38 onwards on fanfiction.net and I found no such inference. I also doubt he would make such a clarification before unveiling the details of the plot in the story itself, so unless you can actually point me to a source for this I'm going to assume you are misremembering something.

The closest I could find was this in the Author's note on Chapter 39:
Also, there are no real-world political statements being made in the chapter. I have both English and Irish ancestors. Peter and his master are merely taking advantage of the situation, and those were the closest Muggles that met their criterion. If you don't think someone under the Imperius Curse would actively work to help formulate a cover story to fool their mates, I would only point out how that same curse was used on Pius Thicknesse in canon to subvert the Ministry of Magic – he was actively participating in the new regime as well. In the long run, I think that Unforgiveable has the scariest implications if used intelligently.
As you can see, it says nothing whatsoever about who Pettigrew's Master is. Similarly the last scene in that chapter is very carefully written to avoid identifying who Pettigrew's Master is. I'm sure the AuthorLord is happy to let you assume it was Voldemort, Keeping us guessing makes for a better reaction when the big reveal comes later on, but frankly I'll be quite surprised if that turns out to be the case.
Wormy's always been a flighty coward with fluctuating allegiances, even in canon. Hell, that's why he died. Besides, blackmail only gets you so far. If the Patron has something on the Agent, then the Agent may well be working in secret to thwart the Patron's plans in subtle ways; blackmail does not breed loyalty, it breeds deceit. The Agent is loyal to his goals, at least from the way I understand his actions. That, to me, suggest that it isn't something like blackmail that's keeping him going, its something more altruistic, like preventing a calamitous war with the muggles.
I agree that blackmail is unlikely to be the motivation. It's evident to me that this Patron uses a silver tongue to convince their operatives that what they want them to do is the right thing to do. That's how it worked with the IRA, why should it have been any different with the AiP?

Just because the AiP may believe in what they are doing, doesn't mean that that belief has any basis in reality though. Put simply, evidence that the AiP is motivated by belief in what they are doing gives no indication of what the belief that motivates them is.
A more...refined form of my previous theory:
In the original timeline, the war with the muggles happened. The masquerade was broken and the muggles were rightfully pissed at the barbarians at the gate, as it were. As the wizards were losing, Hastings' adviser, Dumbledore's portrait, revealed to the general what Harry had done, basically creating an alternate timeline. As they hashed it out, they realized there was still a distinct possibility that Harry's new timeline might suffer a break of the masquerade, too, and so Hastings sent his knowledge back the same way Harry did (the war was all but lost at that point) and contacted a few friends in Britain, and eventually ended up with the Agent whom he'd trained and turned him into a loyal tool of disaster prevention.
I don't buy it. For one thing this was something Harry developed himself based a theoretical exercise with no apparent practical applications and Harry very carefully destroyed all his notes before he executed his plan. While Dumbledore's portrait would have known what he was attempting it wouldn't have known the precise details, so there would have been no way to follow him back the same way.

Also there would have been no reason for Hastings to think that Harry's insane and misguided attempt to travel back in time was in any way successful. The evidence would have suggested that he simply didn't survive the attempt. Certainly if the world was still in the same shape you suggest after Harry topped himself then it would have made a lot more sense to assume that the attempt had failed.

-SC
SiblingCreature

Unread postby RavynousHunter » June 3rd, 2015, 9:34 am

I dunno, I see it kind of like the whole Trunks thing in Dragon Ball Z. Bulma didn't know that it'd change the timeline they were in, but it at least offered a chance of having at least ONE timeline that didn't suck. Also, Dumbledore may have been more observant than he let on, the man may be many negative things, but one thing he isn't is stupid. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that, magically, Dumbledore is every bit the genius he thinks he is.

I will cop to misremembering the notes. Admittedly, its been a little bit since I last re-read NoFP...I've done so about a dozen times, already, lol. Still, though, just because He Who Is A Perpetual Loser doesn't outright say his patron is the Dork Lord doesn't mean it isn't. The absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby SiblingCreature » June 3rd, 2015, 8:22 pm

I dunno, I see it kind of like the whole Trunks thing in Dragon Ball Z. Bulma didn't know that it'd change the timeline they were in, but it at least offered a chance of having at least ONE timeline that didn't suck. Also, Dumbledore may have been more observant than he let on, the man may be many negative things, but one thing he isn't is stupid. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that, magically, Dumbledore is every bit the genius he thinks he is.
I've never watched DBZ so I have no idea what you're referencing. That said I just can't see Hastings even thinking that way. I also don't understand why you think Hastings would think that sabotaging Harry's attempts to avoid a nightmare scenario would somehow help to do so. The very concept makes no sense.
I will cop to misremembering the notes. Admittedly, its been a little bit since I last re-read NoFP...I've done so about a dozen times, already, lol. Still, though, just because He Who Is A Perpetual Loser doesn't outright say his patron is the Dork Lord doesn't mean it isn't. The absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.
I don't need evidence of absence though, as there was no evidence of presence to begin with. ;-)
It's obvious that we are meant to think that Pettigrew's Master is Voldemort. That doesn't mean it's true though, and the fact that it was so carefully worded is itself suspicious. As Poirot once put it:
But it appeared to me that this obviousness was an arranged obviousness.
In other words it was too obvious and therefore not obvious at all.
-SC
Last edited by SiblingCreature on June 5th, 2015, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiblingCreature

Unread postby RavynousHunter » June 5th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Sib...you completely inverted my point. The actions of the Agent, to me, appear to largely be geared toward keeping Harry on his toes, not letting him get complacent, and disincentivising him from slacking off. Those would cause a nightmare scenario...again. Keeping Harry active, keeping him guessing, forcing him to keep using his brain and keep training will prevent such a thing because he, and his friends, will be both mentally and physically ready when the fight starts again. To put it simply, if you slack off, you die.

To quote someone from the Ultima VIII dev team: "Just because people don't sit down when you're there doesn't mean they don't when you're not looking." AuthorLord's a slippery bugger, I wouldn't be surprised if he so carefully worded it to create needless suspicion. Think about it: if he says it definitely one way or the other, then there's no dramatic tension, but being pointedly vague is one of the best tools an author has at their disposal to create tension in the reader.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby SiblingCreature » June 5th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Sib...you completely inverted my point. The actions of the Agent, to me, appear to largely be geared toward keeping Harry on his toes, not letting him get complacent, and disincentivising him from slacking off. Those would cause a nightmare scenario...again. Keeping Harry active, keeping him guessing, forcing him to keep using his brain and keep training will prevent such a thing because he, and his friends, will be both mentally and physically ready when the fight starts again. To put it simply, if you slack off, you die.
And this includes having an innocent bystander (Melissa Bulstrode) killed?
Nope, sorry, I just don't see it.

-SC
SiblingCreature

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past