What is "Scholomance"?

Re: What is "Scholomance"?

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 1st, 2011, 6:21 pm

Actually Life, I take it back. I had it pointed out to me that Scholomance magic seems to function around personal interpretation. I'm basing my interpretation off of the Artificer class from D&D, who could create healing potions and items, but not actually cast healing *spells*. So you *could* probably cast healing spells, since it's still matter manipulation.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 1st, 2011, 6:35 pm

Bwahahaha, now the world is my oyster!!

Well no not really, but still. Very exciting possibilities.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby spudman » June 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm

Hmm, so with being able to manipulate light...one could do a number of things, including Predator-like cloaking with a little creativity and BS.

Though I still haven't decided what kind of energy Greg would lean towards just yet (which is why I didn't mention actual use of magic in his background).
spudman

Unread postby SLAMU » June 1st, 2011, 7:05 pm

Oops, wrong thread
SLAMU

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 1st, 2011, 7:57 pm

Moved the "Public Discourse" thread to "Day-to-Day Life"
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Lthayer3 » June 1st, 2011, 10:27 pm

This looks cool. I tended to ignore the RP section other than the first two forums, so I didn't see this sitting down here. Was just poking around since I saw there were a lot of posts going on.

A few questions:

1) Presumably I can still join?

2) Do all the students have to come from the same world? Do they all have to be human (or even humanoid)? I notice it says "nestled in a tear in reality", but I'm not clear on whether that includes alternate dimensions, alien worlds halfway across the universe, or even other magical worlds somewhere beyond the universe.

3) The schools of magic seem a bit confusing. Some areas are pretty clear, but where would something like magical shielding fall? Or a spell that unlocks doors? Does it just entirely depend on how you argue the spell works?

4) If the arguing thing is true, just how broken is creativity allowed to become? Precast spells bound into a rune/runeword/seal/enchanted item/etc that can be activated with a single point of mana at a later time? (or even worse, 0 points, but I suspect that's a no-no) Items that can be created that can restore mana points when consumed?

5) What are students allowed to bring with them to the school? Just the clothes on their back? If there were holidays or days off from school (weekends or whatever local equivalent exists) are they allowed time away from the school?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm going to go poke at the character creation page for a bit.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Wittgen » June 1st, 2011, 11:11 pm

Quick question about mana. How do we regain it? Also, I'm reading the +3 we get each year as expanding our total pool so, for example, second year students start with 12 mana. Is this correct?
Wittgen

Unread postby SLAMU » June 1st, 2011, 11:22 pm

Greetings Lthayer! I shall endeavor to answer your questions.

1) Alas, you missed the deadline by but a hair. The registry closed when I made the first post. We plan on picking it back up (starting a new term?) in the fall, so you can bring a new character to us then! We're play-testing it right now, so hopefully when you decide to join us anew we'll have some of the bugs worked out.

2) While the school is nestled in a dimensional tear, all our current players hail from modern-day earth. For simplicity's sake, I would ask you to keep it to that general time frame.

3) Spells work by manipulating some form of force; energy, matter, supernatural, and psychic. You can achieve the same ends through different means, though some will more naturally be easier using different techniques. How are you using your magical shielding? What sort of shield would it be? A shield to ward off, say, a fireball might counter it by sapping the heat away from the fireball, or shooting a mass of water at it. One would be manipulating energy, the other matter.

4) Creativity will get you farther here than rules-lawyering, though there are limits (and of course, consequences) to all things. If you can argue something to work convincingly, you will get more leeway than simply saying "I do this", if push comes to shove. The final call, of course, is mine, and rest assured that I am telling everyone the same answers to the same questions.

5) What students can bring with them; one of those things we will need to work out before next time. Basically, most anything you could reasonably expect to bring to any other university setting won't be a problem, but for the particularly unusual things you will need permission. Extra change of clothes: acceptable. Barrett .50, you had best have a particularly convincing reason to be allowed to take that with you.

Did I answer all of your questions?

Witt: you are correct. Mana is recharged when you rest and get a good meal, the +3/year means your pool expands.
SLAMU

Unread postby Lthayer3 » June 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm

Bah. Oh well. I saw that Witt had made his character earlier today and that there was still a character who had yet to post, so I was hoping to be able to play. I doubt I'll have much time for it come August.
Lthayer3

Unread postby spudman » June 17th, 2011, 1:40 am

Starting this Saturday I'll be camping and unable to use the internet or post for about a week. I should be able to post again by next Friday or Saturday, though.
spudman

Unread postby spudman » July 2nd, 2011, 10:25 pm

I'm back! A week later than I thought but I'm back. Now to catch up...
spudman

Unread postby SLAMU » July 4th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Welcome back.
SLAMU

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » August 7th, 2011, 4:46 am

Is magic genetic, spiritual, radioactive, etc?

This question is for character building.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby serbii » August 7th, 2011, 6:30 am

Government puts it in flu vaccines.
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » August 7th, 2011, 7:32 am

I asked Slamu this before, the anwser I got was basically "There is a lot of debate, but no solid evidence either way." So basically, no-one knows.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » August 7th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Magic is friendship.

Scholomance is the least magical place in the universe.
Wittgen

Unread postby ewuvi » August 8th, 2011, 3:23 am

So that's why Othello's magic is stronger than anyone else's!
ewuvi

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » August 8th, 2011, 4:22 am

Witt you are a genius. This explains everything.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby spudman » October 8th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Holy $%^&, it lives!

I'd really like to get back into this...I'll need to reread everything. There was some interaction between Greg and Clara back in July (oog) but that never showed up here, I guess (roleplaying was done on skype).
spudman

Unread postby gman391 » October 8th, 2011, 11:37 pm

That's been true of almost all of our roleplaying from what I understand.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby spudman » October 8th, 2011, 11:45 pm

:doh

Dammit.

I'd still like to get back involved, but I will really need some help in catching up.
spudman

Unread postby gman391 » October 9th, 2011, 12:57 am

You were with Game right? I think he had some stuff. You could ask the rest of us through PM's whether or not we'll tell you anything well...that's up to chance.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Thozmp » October 9th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Kinda wanted to try my hand at this, but since I missed the deadline I was waiting for the end of the "term." Just wondering when I might get a chance to join.
Thozmp

Unread postby serbii » October 10th, 2011, 3:13 am

I'd be ok with more people joining now. I mean, spud practically did. But it's up to slamu I guess.
serbii

Return to “%s” World Discussion