Between Magic and Mount Justice HP/Young Justice Xover

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Between Magic and Mount Justice HP/Young Justice Xover

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 6th, 2013, 12:23 am

This just came to me this evening, and I decided to write it down. Who knows where it'll go from here. Any questions, comments, concerns, anecdotes, statements, facts, opinions, or mad gibberings are welcome.
Spoiler: show
“What happened here, Commissioner Gordon?”

Commissioner James Gordon sighed and turned around to look at the new arrival. It was Bruce Wayne, one of the richest men in the world and owner of the building Gotham’s latest crime had taken place in.

Well, knowing Gotham, a dozen more crimes had been committed since he got here, and that’s if it’s a slow night.

“Mr. Wayne, you got here fast. Thank you for coming down so quickly.”

“I was having a late lunch in the area, it wasn’t any trouble. But please, what happened?”

Gordon sighed again. “It appears the Penguin broke into your facility, for reasons that aren’t clear at the moment. However, what is clear is that while he was in there, he ended up killing four people and wounding several others. We’re waiting on the security footage right now, since our eyewitnesses are still being treated.”

Wayne nodded. “Don’t worry, you’ll have my full cooperation. Let me see if I can’t hurry things along.” He pulled a phone out of the inner pocket of his suit, a suit that easily cost more than a year’s worth of Gordon’s rent, and walked in the other direction.

A few minutes later, Gordon was seated in front of a security monitor, watching as the Penguin blew a hole in the wall of the factory. “Okay, so we have Vernon Dursley and family here touring the facility.”

An explosion offscreen.

“Here comes Penguin and his thugs… he’s shouting at the foreman for something… whatever it is, the foreman can’t get it to him… and there’s our first body. Why isn’t he knocking out the security cameras? Penguin’s not usually this sloppy. Alright, his thugs are spreading out, looking for something, Penguin’s covering the hostages.”

A minute passed.

“Okay, he just heard the cops, so he starts looking for a hostage… here he grabs one Dudley Dursley, Vernon Dursley’s son… the parents start screaming in protest and… what the hell? They’re trying to give up the other kid? I’ve seen parents offer themselves up before, but not this…”

“Kid said they were his Aunt and Uncle, not his parents, Comissh,” Bullock offers.

“Still doesn’t make sense, what kind of people do that?”

Bullock just let out a disgusted snort.

“Hmm, whatever they’re saying isn’t working, Penguin’s getting pissed… damn, there he goes, even the kid… looks like he’s grabbing one of the workers as a hostage instead… and he’s gone.” Gordon stood up. “Bullock, go over this, see if you can pick out any of the usual thugs, you know what to look for. I’m going to go see if any of our witnesses are ready to talk.”

0oOo0

Bruce Wayne flagged down Jim Gordon, a few questions on his mind. “Commissioner, I have some information for you. Apparently, Vernon Dursley was here on business, representing a British company named Grunnings. There was a deal in the works with Wayne Enterprises, but it looks like that’s not particularly likely now. I’ve checked with my company’s records, there isn’t anything in the factory that I can think would interest a criminal like the Penguin, but it was recently converted. I acquired the property from LutherCorp, and they were manufacturing high tech weapon triggers here as recently as last week. Perhaps that was what he was after?”

“We’ll keep it in mind. Now, if there’s nothing else, Mr. Wayne, I still have a lot of work to do.”

“Actually, there is. I know that Vernon Dursley’s second child was relatively unharmed. What’s going to happen with him?”

Gordon sighed. “We’re going to look into next of kin for him, but he was already living with an Aunt and Uncle, and I got out of him that his parents are dead, so I’m not holding out much hope. We’ll be able to keep him at the station at least overnight, since we’ll need to find out what he saw, but after that, he’ll probably end up with Child Services.”

“I know it’s better than it used to be, but that’s hardly the best thing for him, is it?”

“It’s really our only option at the moment. If we don’t find next of kin, he won’t have anywhere else to go.”

Bruce looked thoughtful for a moment, then nodded. “I can take him. Dick would be grateful to have a playmate for a few days, and Alfred would have someone who’s actually heard of the British dishes he makes. It’s only until you find next of kin, and besides, no boy should have to deal with the death of his family on his own.”

Gordon knew what he’s referring to, every person who grew up in Gotham knew about the Wayne murders. He mulled it over for a minute. “There will be some paperwork, and he’ll still need to come down to the station to give a report, but I’m sure we can work something out, Mr. Wayne.”

“Excellent.”

0oOo0

“Bringing home strays again, Master Bruce?” Alfred asked as he drove towards the police station.

“He just lost his family, Alfred, he doesn’t need to be dumped into the Gotham City system on top of it. Moreover, it happened on my property, so I’m ultimately responsible.”

“The poor boy.”

“It’s more than that, Alfred. He shows most of the classic signs of neglect, and I was only able to observe from a distance. And from what I’m seeing on this footage, that’s not surprising.” He rewound the holographic playback and zoomed in on Vernon’s mouth. “’Take the freak instead, not my son.’ Yes, that would set off Cobblepot, given his family history. He also appeared malnourished, Alfred, so you should be pleased to have someone else to fatten up.”

“As long as he actually eats, and doesn’t just push it around his plate while he plays on his computer. Why you gave Master Dick that wristwatch I’ll never know.”

“Dick is hardly in danger of starving, Alfred. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I believe we’re here.”

0oOo0

“That’s your side of the paperwork done, Mr. Wayne, if you’ll follow me, I’ll take you to Harry. I should warn you, he’s barely said three words that weren’t answers to a direct question since he got here.”

“I’m sure it’ll be fine, Commissioner. Lead on, I think Alfred’s double parked outside.”

Gordon led him to a conference room with all the blinds closed, and Bruce saw the boy jump as the door opened. He’s small, even for a seven-year-old. Up close, he’s even more sure of his malnutrition diagnosis. Bruce took the chair next to the boy and leaned forward so he can look eye to eye. “Hi there, do you know who I am?”

The boy shook his head.

“My name is Bruce Wayne. What’s yours?”

“…Harry.”

“Nice to meet you Harry. Do you remember what happened today?”

Harry nodded.

“Well, I own the building where it happened, and I just wanted to apologize for everything. That never should have happened, especially not while you were there.”

Harry shrugged.

“Now, the police are going to track down any other family you have, but in the meantime, how would you like to stay with me?”

“…Okay.”

“Good. Alfred’s waiting outside. You’ll like him, and when we get back to the Manor, I’ll introduce you to Dick.”

0oOo0

Batman turned away from the search as Alfred walked up behind him. “You said he was malnourished, not that he was a stick, Master Bruce. I could scarcely keep up with how hungry he was, and I saw him pocketing food for later. If he hasn’t been denied meals regularly, I’ll eat my hat.”

“I’m pulling up what records I can about his family. Anything else I need to know?”

“He nearly fainted dead away when I showed him the guest bedroom. Said it was so much bigger than his cupboard. I didn’t want to pressure him, but given what else we know, I suspect he was kept under the stairs.”

“Really?”

Alfred harrumphed. “Normally I wouldn’t leap to such a conclusion, Master Bruce, but I was able to persuade young Harry to tell me the name of his Aunt, one Marge Dursley. I took the liberty of phoning her, and in her words ‘The world would be a better place without the little bastard, and my brother’s an idiot for taking that whore’s boy in to begin with. Good riddance,’ and she hung up the phone. Honestly, Master Bruce, I don’t believe anyone should have to deal with the madmen this city puts out, but if anyone ever deserved it, it may have been those two creatures. I’m ashamed to say they ever came from Britain.”

“Hm. Well, we’ll have to see what the rest of the search comes up with, maybe she’s not the only family he has.”

“Young Harry doesn’t think he has any other family.”

“Then I suppose he’ll be staying more than a few days, won’t he?”

“It will be a hardship, but I’m sure we’ll manage, Master Bruce. Just one other thing.”

“Yes, Alfred?”

Alfred smirked. “How long do you think it will be before this one discovers the Batcave?”

0oOo0

Alfred moved through Wayne Manor with the ease of long practice, searching out his wayward charges. Master Harry had adjusted well during the last month, since he had come to stay at the ancestral home of the Wayne family. He and Master Dick had become fast friends, apparently his first friend, which spoke volumes about what type of people the Dursleys had really been. Master Harry found the fact that Master Dick had previously been in a circus to be astonishing, and Master Dick delighted in showing Master Harry new things every day. And while Master Dick was able to keep quiet about his nocturnal activities as the brightly clad Robin, Master Harry still stumbled through the grandfather clock in the study halfway through week two.

Alfred dutifully kept his “I told you so” unspoken.

Still, it was lunchtime, and as such, time for children to stop playing and come eat. Alfred found them both in the Entrance Hall, just as Master Dick flipped through the air, dismounting from the swinging chandelier.

“Come on Harry, you can do it!”

“Master Dick, as I have told you numerous times-“

“Banzai!”

Alfred watched as Master Harry launched himself over the upstairs handrail towards the chandelier, arms outstretched. His face was covered in a wide grin, something that was becoming increasingly common as time passed, but it twisted to shock as his fingers brushed the chandelier and missed.

Alfred could only stare in horror as Master Harry plunged towards the marble floor, his eyes wide. Master Dick rushed forward to catch him, but Alfred could see he wouldn’t get there in time.

Master Harry hit… and then bounced.

Bounced, a good six feet in the air.

Then he did it again.

“Oh my.”
That's what I've got so far. Any ideas for a name are also more than welcome.

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on November 13th, 2013, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Re: Unnamed Harry Potter/Young Justice Xover

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 6th, 2013, 3:10 am

Part Two!
“He bounced?”

“Yes, Master Bruce. Over my head.”

“Where is he now?”

“Masters Dick and Harry are in the kitchen with a plate of my cookies at the moment, though I couldn’t say for how much longer.”

“I’ll have to run some more tests. I was sure I didn’t detect any meta-gene during the preliminary exam, but I’ll have to take a closer look at his DNA.”

0oOo0

Over the next two weeks, Alfred kept a close eye on his youngest charge. He noticed little things, that could easily be attributed to luck, but Alfred wasn’t sure. Master Harry would avoid injury in the strangest of ways. Not that Alfred was complaining, he would never wish to see any of his charges hurt, but it was still peculiar.

And then, of course, there was the fact that Master Harry could speak to snakes.

0oOo0

“Hey Alfred, do we have any mice?”

Alfred sounded offended as he continued to dust. “Of course not, Master Harry, I wouldn’t stand for any sort of vermin in this house. Why do you ask?”

“Because this guy says he’s hungry.”

“Pardon me?”

“Hungry. He says he wants a mouse to eat.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” Alfred finally turned away from his cleaning and looked at the young boy. He had a three-foot long black rat snake draped over his shoulders. “Master Harry, why do you have a snake in the house?”

“Cause he said he was hungry and I don’t know how to catch mice, so I thought I’d ask you.”

Alfred sighed. “Please take your new friend outside while I see if we have a terrarium anywhere.”

“Okay!”

0oOo0

That had been how Seth the Snake had come to be a semi-permanent resident in the Manor. After the revelation of Master Harry’s unusual linguistic talents, Alfred was finally able to convince Master Bruce to explore some of the more exotic explanations.

0oOo0

“So, you think you’re magic, huh, kid?” Kent Nelson asked.

“I dunno, Br-, um, Batman said I had to talk to you.” Harry fidgeted under the old man’s appraising look.

“He did, did he? And don’t worry, I know who he is. I’ve been around long enough, I’ve probably forgotten more than you’ve ever learned.”

“Wow, how old are you?”

“Heh heh, I’m one hundred and two years old.”

“That’s old.”

“Yeah, it is, and I don’t need kids like you reminding me of it. But I’m here for a reason, so let’s get to it. Give me your hands.”

Harry looked shocked. “What? No, my hands are attached to me, you can’t have them!”

“For goodness sakes, kid, just hold my hands and close your eyes. Try not to think about anything.”

For ten minutes, the two of them sat in the floor of Mount Justice, Batman staring on impassively, the rest of the League forbidden to intrude. Finally, they both opened their eyes.

“Well, you’ve definitely got some magic in you, kid. Got a nasty chunk of Chaos stuck in your forehead too, you’ll probably want to take care of that sooner or later. Eh, I’ll figure it out.”

“So I’ll learn how to do a whole bunch of super awesome magic! Cool!”

“First I’ll be teaching you how to not blow yourself up. The cool stuff’ll come later. Trust me, you’re young, you’ve got plenty of time.”

0oOo0

While Harry may have had plenty of time, he found just about every moment filled with some activity or other. Self-defense training and physical fitness with Bruce, magic lessons with Kent, home-schooling to bring him up to speed with Alfred, playing with Dick (who also joined him in all but the magic lessons, preferring to spend time working on the computer), and simply marveling at how much his life had changed in such a short time. It was overwhelming at times, but Harry dealt with it in stride. With people there who encouraged him and coached him to do better, Harry was making leaps and bounds.

He still wasn’t ready to join Batman and Robin on patrol, no matter how much he begged or pleaded, but that didn’t stop him from trying to prove himself. Floors became slick underfoot (which was quickly applied to balance training down in the Batcave), Dick found himself waking up to a room full of fog (which was appropriated for blind-fight training), and eventually Alfred had to deal with illusionary copies (which Kent swore he regretted ever teaching to an almost eight-year-old).

Nor did it stop him from making his own superhero suit from materials around the manor, declaring himself to be THE HARRIER!

When Dick pointed out how close Harrier was to Harry’s real name, Harry replied that Dick was just jealous cause he was a much cooler bird than a silly old Robin, which forced Dick to put Harry in a headlock, which made Harry try and escape, after which the argument was mostly forgotten.
I don't know why I'm doing this, I should be writing Pokemon Quest, I'm a horrible person, please give me feedback.

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on October 31st, 2013, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby gman391 » January 6th, 2013, 3:16 am

I think it's actually worth writing, but I'd like to see more of Harry's view point about the world.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » January 6th, 2013, 4:54 am

Hmm, a very intriguing start. I am interested to see where you go with this.
Wayne nodded. “Don’t worry, you’ll have my full cooperation. Let me see if I can’t hurry things along.” He pulls a phone out of the inner pocket of his suit, a suit that easily costs more than a year’s worth of Gordon’s rent, and walks in the other direction.
You abruptly switch from past tense to present tense here. You switch back to past tense at
Batman turned away from the search as Alfred walked up behind him.
I like the endings of each segment, they amuse.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Random_fan » January 6th, 2013, 6:59 am

You are writing this because it is awesome Rigger.
Random_fan

Unread postby someone » January 6th, 2013, 10:08 am

Bruce Wayne flags down Jim Gordon, a few questions on his mind. “Commissioner, I have some information for you. Apparently, Vernon Dursley was here on business, representing a British company named Grunnings. There was a deal in the works with Wayne Enterprises, but it looks like that’s not particularly likely now. I’ve checked with my company’s records, there isn’t anything in the factory that I can think would interest a criminal like the Penguin, but it was recently converted. I acquired the property from LutherCorp, and they were manufacturing high tech weapon triggers here as recently as last week. Perhaps that was what he was after?”
This part is a bit weird. Why do you buy a weapon factory and then convert it to something with 'nothing interesting', how did the rebuilding happen within a week, how does someone who presumably planned to go there not know this? Wouldn't it be better to just keep it at 'we have no idea what he was doing here in this random factory' or, 'it is a high-tech weapons factory, he was probably after one of the prototypes'.
someone

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 6th, 2013, 10:24 am

I think it's actually worth writing, but I'd like to see more of Harry's view point about the world.
More Harry is impending, I'm just in the middle of setup at the moment. And writing a Seven/Eight-year-old is hard.
Hmm, a very intriguing start. I am interested to see where you go with this.
Wayne nodded. “Don’t worry, you’ll have my full cooperation. Let me see if I can’t hurry things along.” He pulls a phone out of the inner pocket of his suit, a suit that easily costs more than a year’s worth of Gordon’s rent, and walks in the other direction.
You abruptly switch from past tense to present tense here. You switch back to past tense at
Batman turned away from the search as Alfred walked up behind him.
I like the endings of each segment, they amuse.
I shall endeavor to keep it all in one tense. I'm so used to writing Pokemon Quest, which is all present tense.
Bruce Wayne flags down Jim Gordon, a few questions on his mind. “Commissioner, I have some information for you. Apparently, Vernon Dursley was here on business, representing a British company named Grunnings. There was a deal in the works with Wayne Enterprises, but it looks like that’s not particularly likely now. I’ve checked with my company’s records, there isn’t anything in the factory that I can think would interest a criminal like the Penguin, but it was recently converted. I acquired the property from LutherCorp, and they were manufacturing high tech weapon triggers here as recently as last week. Perhaps that was what he was after?”
This part is a bit weird. Why do you buy a weapon factory and then convert it to something with 'nothing interesting', how did the rebuilding happen within a week, how does someone who presumably planned to go there not know this? Wouldn't it be better to just keep it at 'we have no idea what he was doing here in this random factory' or, 'it is a high-tech weapons factory, he was probably after one of the prototypes'.
It's not that there's nothing particularly interesting in the factory, it's that there's nothing that would interest the Penguin, who steals things he can resell for high dollar value, from artwork and jewelry to weapons and tech. The other part of this is Bruce playing the part of Bruce Wayne, foppish billionaire. Batman may know exactly why Penguin broke in, but Bruce Wayne isn't even sure of what exactly's being made in the factory.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » January 6th, 2013, 10:43 am

Actually, it probably wouldn't be that hard to do in a week. If they're using machines that use exchangeable tool dies to cut/form shapes, then it would be a matter of changing the dies to fit what's going to be made there now, followed by uploading the program that machine uses (if the machine needs one). Sure, there could be some production line rearranging to have an efficient flow for whatever is being produced there now, but it is feasible in a week if you've got everything ready.

It could be that it was bought by WayneCorps and continued doing the original manufacturing to finish out any outstanding orders. Meanwhile, planning and die ordering was done in preparation for switching it over to a new product. Once the outstanding orders finished, production ceased and the reworking began. Alternately, the plan to buy the factory has been in the works for a while, and so planning/preparation was done during the closing phases of the deal so that they were ready to begin retooling once the deal was closed and property officially handed over.

It's not like Gotham news would splash big headlines of "Weapons factory being converted to <insert product> factory!". It could be that Penguin found out WayneCorps bought the property but didn't shut production down (or were in the process of buying it), and so he decided to raid the place to get equipment for a plan (or for black market sale), and he had the unfortunate luck to hit the place one week too late.
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 6th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Part Three! Harrier's first time.
“I can really go out with you? Really?” Harry squeaked.

“Tentatively,” Batman qualifies. “You’re on probation. If I see anything I don’t like, you’re back on the bench.”

“This is gonna be so awesome! I need to go get my costume, and tell Dick and Alfred, and-“

“They already know, and you won’t be using your costume.” Because the cape is still made from a cut up silk bed sheet, remained unspoken.

“Huh?”

“You’re the last person to know about this. Dick, Kent, and Alfred all feel you’re ready to go out on patrol, and if anyone didn’t feel you were ready, you wouldn’t be. So prove to us that we’re worth it.”

Harry’s grin couldn’t get any bigger. “I will!”

“Good. Now, I believe you’ve made designs on your costume before now, but I’ve made some improvements. Go look in the costume vault.”

Harry’s eyes got wide and he scrambled to go look. Alfred was already in there, picking an invisible piece of lint off the new costume. It was patterned after a Harrier, with light browns and grays on the front, and darker browns and blacks on the back and cape. The colors blended well together, creating almost a feather pattern throughout the suit. It was easy to see it was the suit was patterned after the bird Harry took his codename from.

“It’s bulletproof, obviously. The cape should provide protection against explosives, but not at point-blank range, so don’t be on top of it when they go off. There’s a full vision enhancement suite in the cowl-“

“I get Knight Vision! Sweet!”

“It’s called Detective Mode, not Knight Vision. There’s also an experimental camouflage protocol programmed into the suit that should allow you to alter your color pattern based on your surroundings. It’s still in testing, though, so only use it for subtle shifts right now. Any questions?”

“Can I put it on right now? I want see how I look! Can I come out with you tonight? Huh? Huh? Huh?”

“Since Dick has been benched after the incident with the noodles, yes, tonight will be your first night on patrol. Suit up. Be ready in ten.”

0oOo0

Batman and Harrier perched on the side of a warehouse by the docks, hidden in the shadows. Batman was stoic as ever, but Harrier was vibrating with excitement. “What are we waiting for?” Harrier finally asked, the waiting too much for him.

“The Falcones are moving something through here. We’re waiting to see exactly what it is.”

“Oh. Okay.”

They didn’t have to wait long. Two vans full of men pulled up and headed for the containers, unloading wooden crates into the vehicles. Batman held up a hand. “Stay here and don’t move. I’m going in for a closer look.”

Harrier nodded, and Batman disappeared, gone in a flash of his cape. A minute passed, and Harrier’s comm beeped. “Harrier, they’re moving drugs. Cut the visibility.”

“Okay. Ekam a duolc fo gof!” Thick fog rolls in off the water, and within a minute, the thugs couldn’t see a foot in front of their face. But with the Knight Vision upgrades (and Harrier was calling it that, no matter what Batman claimed it was called), Batman and Harrier could pick the thugs out with ease.

Harrier watched as Batman picked the thugs off one by one, knocking them out and ensuring they wouldn’t be waking up for hours. As the first body was discovered, Harrier watched the heart rates spike and jump. They were scared, and quickly becoming pants wetting terrified.

After discovering yet another one of their unconscious fellows, they panicked and broke, one running straight into Batman, but the other one was actually running straight for the vans. And Batman wasn’t going to get there in time.

Harrier jumped down, throwing a bird-a-rang at the thug, missing by a hair. It cut across the back of the thug’s jacket, and the thug spun around. “You’re not gonna get me!” he cried as he fumbled with his gun, firing off three wild shots. They didn’t come near Harrier, but he still hit the ground instinctively.

Harrier threw another bird-a-rang behind the thug, making him spin around, and Harrier dashed in. He threw his weight into a kick that landed behind the thug’s knee, dropping him to the ground, but the thug lashed out with a meaty fist, hitting Harrier right across the nose.

Harrier was stunned, and the thug took the opportunity to grab hold of Harrier’s costume and sock him in the gut, knocking the wind out of him. “I don’t know who you are, but you’re gonna regret that!”

Not willing to take another hit like that, Harrier swung his foot up into the thug’s groin, and the thug reacted predictably. Harrier hit the ground as the thug curled in on himself, and Harrier got enough of his wind back to gasp out, “Ekam sih taoc otni sgnidnib!”

The thug’s coat animated and wrapped around its owner, trapping him tighter than a straightjacket. It took three hits to the sweet spot for Harrier’s punch to put the thug out, and when he turned around, there was Batman, looking stern.

“So, um, how’d I do?” Harrier asked, his voice cracking nervously.

“What did I tell you on the roof?” Batman didn’t sound amused.

“Um, stay there?”

“You disobeyed orders and could have gotten yourself killed.”

“But he was getting away!” Harrier protested.

“Because I wanted to track him back to his safehouse.”

“Oh.”

“You disobeyed orders, engaged a hostile without confirmation, and your stealth sounded like a rampaging elephant. But you didn’t get shot, which is better than my first time out, and you’re still alive to learn from your many mistakes. Go back to the Batmobile. It will take you back to the cave. Be ready for training at five am.”

“Five?”

“You’re right, you’ve got a lot to work on. Four thirty."
Knight Vision was shamelessly stolen from Bruce Has A Problem, over on Spacebattles.

And while I don't really have any support for this theory, I'm working on the theory that Giovanni Zatara learned the majority of his magic from Kent Nelson back when Kent was still Doctor Fate, which is why Harry is also learning the Speak in Reverse style of casting. Also, it makes things easier on me.

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on March 7th, 2013, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRigger2

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 6th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Part Four! Harry meets the other Sidekicks.
Harry’s first friend outside of Dick was Wally, or as he was first introduced, Kid Flash. They first met when Weather Wizard decided to expand his villainous operations to include Gotham City.

This was generally seen as a bad move on his part, but it did allow a team-up between the Bat and Flash families, so the sidekicks were happy. With the combination of five heroes instead of just two, Weather Wizard never stood a chance.

“So you’re telling me that you’re magic?” Kid Flash asked skeptically.

“Yeah. Of course.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. Magic isn’t real, everything can be explained by science.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, it’s magic. Besides, you run faster than the speed of sound, you can’t tell me that’s not magic.”

“Of course it isn’t magic, it’s entirely explainable by science. Flash got his powers in a lab accident, and I got mine when I replicated the circumstances. Perfectly scientific.”

Harrier shrugged. “It’s magic. Don’t know what you’re looking for.”

“Some proof would be nice.”

“Evig diK hsalF a eigdew.”

“Eep!” Kid Flash hurriedly readjusted his costume, blushing furiously. “So you’ve got some telekinetic meta-abilities. That’s relatively common, and *not magic*.”

“Nrut wolley ot knip.”

In a flash, all the yellow on Kid Flash’s costume turned to pink… and so did all the yellow on Robin’s costume.

“Dude!”

“Sorry, Robin, I guess I need to work on my accuracy,” Harrier giggled.

“Still not magic!”

0oOo0

Harrier didn’t meet Green Arrow and Speedy until after Batman and Robin had already worked with the archer duo a few times, and as such, was left feeling somewhat left out.

“So, who’s the shorty?” Speedy asked as they waited for their target.

“I’m not short! I’m just… height-impaired.”

“You barely come up to my armpit. I’m pretty sure you’re just short.”

“Hey!”

“And I never got my answer. Who are you?”

Batman spoke up. “Harrier has been working with me for over a year now. You just haven’t met him because he was off-duty due to injury.”

“I still say I was fine.”

“Scarecrow’s toxin had you jumping at things that weren’t there. You would have been a liability if you were in the field.”

“…I’d have been fine…”

Batman shot Harrier a *look*. “I’ll be quiet now.”

“Speedy, don’t sweat it. Harrier’s fine,” Robin tried to assure his friend.

“Quiet down, our target’s approaching,” Green Arrow ordered over the comm.

The limo entered their view, and Batman pressed against Harrier’s back. “Go.”

“I can take him,” Speedy protested.

“No, hold position. Harrier.”

Harrier dropped down and snuck towards the car. As he got close enough, the doors open and four men poured out. “Mrofsnart kcor ot dnaskciuq,” he whispered. The street beneath the men suddenly turned to soupy quicksand, and they sank in up to their waists. Two blunted arrows, a bat-a-rang, and a bird-a-rang flew through the air, knocking the men unconscious simultaneously.

Once the men were secured, Harrier overheard Speedy talking to Robin. “Okay, I guess he’s got some skills. Still say I could have taken them.”

0oOo0

Aqualad was probably Harry’s favorite sidekick, even if he was the last one he met. He was a pleasant departure from Wally’s skepticism or Roy’s overconfidence.

Harrier was securing the last of the henchmen when Aqualad pulled him off to the side. “Your talents are certainly commendable for one of your age. Though I should have expected as much from one of the Batman’s apprentices.”

Harrier blushed under his cowl. “Hey, I didn’t do anything but play support. You guys did all the real work.”

“But without your support, the likelihood that one of us would have been injured would have been much greater, and for that, I thank you.”

“Hey, you know, it was no problem, I was just doing what I was supposed to do.”

“Still, it was a great assist. I understand that many of your abilities come from magic. While I no longer attend the academy, I would like if we could compare how our abilities work. I’m interested in how surfacer magic compares to Atlantean magic.”

“That’d be great! Normally I don’t have anyone to really talk about magic with except Kent, and he’s not been around as much lately.”

“Wonderful. Who’s Kent?”
MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 7th, 2013, 2:43 am

Part Five.
When Harry found out that Robin was going to get to join the League and he wasn’t, he was upset.

When he found out the rest of the sidekicks were going to get to join as well, he was angry.

When the sidekicks uncovered a creepy conspiracy that resulted in a Superman clone and the formation of a secret Team of sidekicks that got to do all kinds of secret missions, and he *still* didn’t get to join, he was livid.

“Come on Bruce, why not? I’m only two years younger than Dick! I should get a chance to be out there with him! My magic is better than ever, I’m just as accurate as Robin, and I’m so stealthy I can sneak up on *you*!”

Bruce stared at Harry. “Fine, I can sneak up on you when you’re distracted.”

The stare continued.

“Alright, so I can sneak up on you when you’re distracted and exhausted from two days of tracking down Killer Croc through the sewers. But it’s still better than Dick! You still catch him every time!”

“Robin is older and more responsible than you, and has been working in the field two years longer than you. And where he will be taking missions with the Team, I’ll need you here to pick up the slack in Gotham. Prove to me you want it, and we’ll see about you joining the Team in the future.”

“…Fine…” Harry grumbled.

0oOo0

Harry still wasn’t happy. In fact, hearing Dick gloat about his adventures with the Team made his mood drop off even more. Not even his impending birthday could cheer him up.

Two days after Robin returned from dealing with Bane and Kobra on Santa Prisca, Harry got a letter.

This wouldn’t be so unusual, except it arrived by owl tapping on the kitchen window as Alfred was serving breakfast.

“Maybe Penguin’s branching out?” Dick suggested.

“Perhaps. It’s carrying a letter,” Bruce said. “You two get ready in case it is an attack. Alfred, let it in.”

Rather than attacking or setting off a bomb, the barn owl landed calmly on the table in front of Harry and held out its leg. After a moment’s hesitation, Harry retrieved the letter.

“It’s parchment, not paper, that’s unusual,” Harry remarked as he studied the paper. Using his breakfast knife, he slit the envelope open, shaking the letter out on the table. He unfolded the letter with his knife and fork, taking care not to touch it with his skin.

Harry wrinkled his brow. “It says I’ve been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is something new, right, it’s not just me?”

“I believe I saw an envelope like this in the mail yesterday, but I discarded it as a prank, Master Harry.”

“Don’t blame you. Seems like a prank to me, except I don’t know anyone who would go through the trouble of training a bird to deliver it.”

“Shall I place a call to Mr. Nelson to see if he has heard of this school?” Alfred asked.

“Yes, get in contact with him. Harry, it says they expect your owl. Write a response back, saying you’ve never heard of this place before and asking for more information. Remain non-committal.”

0oOo0

“So, how’s my favorite student doing?” Kent asked once Harry picked up the phone.

“Robin’s a jerk.”

“Yeah, I heard there was something going on. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, kid. Life’s too short to spend worrying about stuff you can’t change.”

“You’re over a hundred years old.”

“Guess that means I know what I’m talking about, doesn’t it? But that’s not why you called me, is it?”

“No, not really. Have you ever heard of a place called Hogwarts?”

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts… It sounds familiar, but I don’t know. Maybe back in the seventies?”

“I don’t know, it’s why I’m asking you.”

“Yeah, yeah, just give me a minute.” Harry heard grumbling and shuffling on the other end of the line for a minute or so. “Oh yeah, I remember now. It’s legitimate, but I don’t remember much about it. Been a long time since I had anything to do with them. Wand-users, it’s a whole hidden community deal. Mostly keep to themselves, take care of their own problems, so I never crossed paths with them much.”

“Is there anything you can tell me about them? Anything I should know about dealing with them?”

“Jeez kid, it’s been a long time since I dealt with any of them, what do you expect from an old man like me? I don’t know, they’re just like anybody else, you got your good eggs and bad eggs. I think they’re a little backwards, but you get that in most magic users. I don’t know what it is about that, but it always seems to happen.”

“So should I hear what they have to say?”

“Do what you want, kid, I won’t stop you. It’s not a trap, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“Okay, I guess I can always say no if I don’t like what they have to say. Will you be back in town for my birthday next week?”

“Well, I’m heading down to New Orleans for a few days, but I should be able to make it there. See you in a week, kid.”

0oOo0

Alfred set aside his cleaning supplies as he answered the door the next morning. A woman roughly his age was waiting, wrapped in a conservative coat and long dress. “May I help you, Miss?”

“Professor McGonagall, sir. I’m here to speak with Harry Potter.”

Scottish, by the accent. Interesting. “Can I tell him what this is regarding?”

“He replied to my school’s invitation with a request for additional information. I would like to answer any questions he may have, and persuade him to attend his parents’ alma mater.”

“I shall see if he is available. You may wait here, or in the parlor.”

“The parlor, please. I’ve had a long trip, I’m afraid.”

“Of course, Professor. Right this way.” Alfred led the woman to the sitting room, and turned to leave. “May I offer you some refreshment? Tea, perhaps?”

“With sugar, please.”

0oOo0

“There’s a woman upstairs, Master Bruce. She claims to be from the school that contacted Master Harry yesterday. She would like to speak with him. I assume you would like to join?”

Bruce started closing windows on the Bat Computer, and Harry perked up from where he was working at a training dummy. “What were your impressions of her?”

“Polite and respectable. She seems like she has been a representative for the school for quite some time. She did seem confused as to why she was here, but is hiding it well, sir.”

“We’ll be right up.”

0oOo0

McGonagall’s eyes widened as Harry walked into the room. He was the spitting image of his father… at least at first glance. As she studied the boy, little things jumped out at her that were certainly not James Potter. The hair was tamed and slicked back, not the messy tangle she expected. There was no look of plotting mischief either, no look towards mocking authority.

McGonagall stood up and offered her hand. “Mr. Potter, it is so good to see you again, after all these years. You were just a baby the last time I saw you.”

One handshake later, everyone’s seated. “You knew me when I was a baby?” Harry asked.

McGonagall nodded. “Your parents were two of the brightest students I ever had the pleasure of teaching, and I like to say I counted them as friends after they graduated. The world was a poorer place the day they died.”

“Well, you can’t always see a car crash coming, I guess,” Harry mused.

McGonagall’s lips tightened. “A car crash?”

Harry nodded. “That’s what my aunt and uncle always said. They were drunk and crashed their car.”

McGonagall looked like she was biting back curses. “No,” she said finally. “No, James and Lily Potter most certainly did not die in a car crash. They died protecting you from the Dark Lord…V-Voldemort. I have no idea why your aunt and uncle never told you the truth, the entire situation was explained in writing when you were left with them.”

“…They weren’t good family,” Harry admitted quietly. Behind him, Alfred mouthed ‘Abuse’.

“I am truly sorry to hear that, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall apologized. “I had known that Lily and Petunia had their issues, but… If I had had any idea that you would be treated in such a way, I would have snatched you away myself. But it does beg the question: how did you come to live here, instead of with them?”

“That’s my responsibility, Professor,” Bruce interjects. “Harry and his family were here on a business trip through his uncle’s company, and they ended up on the wrong end of one of the criminals here in Gotham City when they broke in. Since it happened on Wayne Enterprises property, I felt responsible that he lost his whole family. Originally, it was just supposed to be for a few days while Harry’s next of kin was contacted, but it ended up being permanent.” Bruce gestured carelessly. “I like to think everybody’s happy with how things worked out.”

Harry nodded. “It’s good.”

There was a moment of awkward silence, as no one knew quite where to go from there, before Alfred stepped in. “Shall I freshen your cup, Professor?”

McGonagall jolted out of her thoughts and nodded. “Yes, please. And no sugar this time, I’m afraid I’ll need it a bit stronger after that.”

Alfred nodded and took her cup. Harry decided to be the one to restart the conversation. “So, you were here to tell me about Hogwarts?”

“Of course, Mr. Potter, of course. May I assume that you don’t know anything about Hogwarts?”

“Not really. Just what was in that letter you sent.”

“But you don’t seem surprised that it teaches Wizardry?”

Bruce fielded that one. “Well, we noticed that some strange things were happening around Harry after he came to live here, so I had him tested for the meta-gene. When that came back negative, I used some of my resources to look for… more exotic answers. I found an expert who figured out that Harry was magic, and he’s been tutoring Harry off and on for the past few years.”

McGonagall’s eyebrows rose. “Most Muggles wouldn’t go that far, I must say, I applaud your persistence and ingenuity, Mr. Wayne.”

“Well, you throw enough money at something, you’ll find the answer you’re looking for. So, Hogwarts?”

“Yes, Hogwarts. Hogwarts has been teaching children magic for over a thousand years, and we like to think there’s no finer school of magic in all the world. We teach a wide array of magical disciplines and I feel confident saying that after completing his education, Mr. Potter would be able to do anything he put his mind to.”

“But Hogwarts is in Scotland, correct? Why should I send Harry halfway around the world, when I can have a private tutor teach him here?”

“Because, Mr. Wayne, at Hogwarts he would have the opportunity to learn and experience the world of magic amongst his peers, something he wouldn’t get from a private tutor. And at Hogwarts, he would be learning in the same place his parents learned at, from many of the same teachers. I assure you, Harry would have experiences at Hogwarts he could not have anywhere else in the world.”

“Can you at least show us something that he might learn there? What do you teach, Professor?”

“I teach Transfiguration, Mr. Wayne,” she replied. She drew her wand. “May I?”

Bruce gestured for her to go on.

Then she turned the coffee table into an ostrich.

Alfred nearly had a stroke, which meant you could actually see the horror cross his face, not that anyone was looking.

McGonagall turned the gigantic bird back into a coffee table, a look of satisfaction on her face. Bruce and Harry glanced at each other, and when they looked back, a cat was calmly staring back at them. The cat hopped off the seat and walked over towards Alfred, transforming back into human form. “I could also make the tea service dance through the air and serve itself, but that generally falls under Charms, taught by my friend Professor Filius Flitwick.”

Bruce stood up, and Alfred subtly moved to the door. “Well, you’ve given us a lot to think about, but I don’t think we can give you an answer just this moment. Could you stop by tomorrow, and we’ll give you an answer then.”

McGonagall nodded. “I understand, and I can come back tomorrow at the same time.” She looked right at Harry. “Mr. Potter, your attending Hogwarts would mean a great deal to a great many people, and I think you could only benefit from it, so please, don’t let poor memories of England spoil your deliberations. Good day, I will see you tomorrow.”
I'm not totally pleased with this, I don't think I captured McGonagall very well. Tell me what you think, that's an order, soldiers!

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on January 7th, 2013, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 7th, 2013, 8:05 am

I think that McG would at least have asked permission before transforming someone else's furniture. Yes, it would drop the shock value, but she also doesn't run the risk of transforming someone's priceless heirloom and getting thrown out on her ear before she can change it back.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 7th, 2013, 8:52 am

Indeed. She's a stickler for courtesy, so she would have asked first. Otherwise, I think you grasped her character well. She's no-nonsense, but in a situation like she was in, she would have fallen on the courtesy and manners she's a stickler for.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 7th, 2013, 9:21 am

Okay, altered it just a little.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 7th, 2013, 9:27 am

Looks good to me, though one thing that I figure Harry would pick up on (after the re-read) is the word "muggle". To someone who doesn't know what it means, it would sound somewhat like a slur, and as Bruce has basically been the source of nearly everything good in his life Harry can remember up to this point...

To be honest, I've always had an issue with the word anyway, so this is probably old prejudices rearing their heads.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby someone » January 7th, 2013, 10:47 am

Why doesn't Bruce/anyone else ask about the availability of a magical school closer to home?
someone

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 7th, 2013, 11:53 am

They probably haven't thought of it at that moment. Keep in mind that they're largely ignorant of the part of the magical community that keeps itself hidden.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby someone » January 7th, 2013, 2:23 pm

We're talking about Batman right?

If he never thinks of it it's a major plothole and if he does it might as well be in this scene, when the character that is best capable of persuading him of sending Harry to Hogwarts is there.

Pedit: After rereading, it could also be in the 'next day' chapter.
someone

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 7th, 2013, 7:12 pm

True, he would think about it when he talks with Minerva again. Just keep in mind that he's not infallible and he has missed things on first look before.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 7th, 2013, 11:32 pm

Part Six!
“Analysis?” He may have been dressed as a lackadaisical billionaire, but the voice was pure Batman.

“She was telling the truth, as far as I could tell. She seemed genuinely surprised and upset when she found out about the Dursleys, and remembering what happened to my parents was painful for her, so she was telling the truth about being friends with them as well. She appeared to believe that Hogwarts would be the best option for me, and wasn’t just pitching the school because it’s her job.”

“What else?”

“She required a wand for magic, but was able to cast without speaking. And turning into a cat? Well, that was just cool. I’d really like to learn how to do that.”

“Your opinion?”

“…Doesn’t really matter, does it? You need me here in Gotham.”

“Pretend I didn’t.”

Harry fell silent, thinking. “By itself, it seems like a really good idea. I love learning from Kent, but he’s not always available, and everything he’s taught me is great, but she implied there was a lot more to learn. And learning in a place surrounded by magic, with other people learning magic, I think I could really improve.”

“And?”

“…And I’d like the chance to learn about my parents. We know she knew them, and she said a lot of the other teachers knew them as well. It’s probably my best chance to learn about them outside of time travel or alternate dimensions.”

“Those are both bad ideas. Just so you know.”

“Really? You never told me-“

“Think about what you want to do. In the meantime, don’t you have schoolwork to do?”

0oOo0

“What do you think, Dick?”

Harry filled out the math assignment absentmindedly as Dick worked the heavy bag. He landed a few more hits, finishing with a jump kick that nearly knocked the bag off the arm, and started toweling off.

“I don’t know what to tell you, Harry. Well, actually, I do, which makes that a stupid saying, doesn’t it? Why do people always say that before giving advice?”

“Dick, you’re not helping.”

“Heh. Look, it sounds good, totally whelming, and with the Zeta Tube System, you’re never really *that* far away. And it’s not like the Team is a full-time commitment, so I’ll still be here to help with Gotham. Even if I wasn’t, Batman would figure out some way to handle everything, even if he never slept. But I keep coming back to one thing.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?”

Dick lunged for Harry and pulled him into a headlock, rubbing his knuckles across Harry’s scalp. “I don’t know if I want my little bro running off to Europe for months at a time!” he laughed as Harry struggled to get out. “You don’t know, you’ll come back at Winter Break and Batman’ll be all brainwashed and crazy or something, fallen in love with a supervillain, maybe.”

“Ack! Get off me! Come on, you know that’d never happen, Dick. I mean, he might flirt with Catwoman some, but she’s not really a supervillain, and nothing’d ever happen with her. Why’d I even ask you for help? Jeez, let go!”

Dick administered one last set of noogies and let Harry go, bouncing up and down, ready for the retaliation, only it never came. Harry was walking towards the vehicles instead.

“Where are you going?”

“To ask someone who might actually help me.”

0oOo0

“So, what brings you to Mt. Justice, my friend? You appear conflicted.” Kaldur was probably the coolest guy Harry knew. Nothing flapped him, and he never treated Harry any different just because he was younger. Plus he knew magic too, not that Harry could ever figure out how it worked, no matter how many times he looked at Kaldur’s waterbearers.

“Well, the Zeta Tube brought me here, but I wanted to ask you something. See, it’s like this…”

Kaldur listened patiently as Harry explained the situation, leaving out information that Kaldur could use to track back to Harry’s real identity, as per Batman’s standing orders. Harry didn’t really care if Kaldur knew who he really was, and he knew Kaldur would never use it against him. Harry also knew that Dick had told Wally his real identity, and he was pretty sure Batman knew as well, but Harry didn’t want to be the one to stir that particular pot.

As Harry winded down, Kaldur closed his eyes in thought. After a few minutes, he looked Harry in the eye. “I know you came looking to me for an answer, but I am afraid I have none for you. I am sorry, my friend. This is something you must decide for yourself.”

Harry nodded unhappily. “Yeah, I figured…”

“But I can give you some advice, Harrier. Do not let what others may think of you influence your decision, it must be yours alone. When my king asked me to join him as Aqualad, I knew it meant leaving my friends and the Conservatory behind, but it was also a chance that would not appear a second time. Even with what I sacrificed, I feel I made the right decision. Think about what will be best for you, and you will have your answer. The rest of the world will just have to manage with what you decide.”

“I guess you’re right, Kaldur. Thanks man, you’re the best!” Harry turned to leave but stopped himself. “And, um, you do remember that my birthday is next week, right? Not too late to get me a present if you forgot, you know!”

Kaldur laughed. “Rest assured, my friend, I have not forgotten. I have already secured your present, not that you will find it before I give it to you.”

“Is that a challenge?! Oh man, if I didn’t have patrol tonight, I’d totally tear this place apart finding it!”

Kaldur smirked. “I believe Robin hid his present for you here as well.”

“Aargh!”

0oOo0

“Have you made your decision?” Batman asked as they pulled into the Batcave after an extended patrol that saw them chasing a bunch of jewelry store thieves all over the south side.

“Yeah, I have.”

“We’ll tell the professor in the morning that you’ll be joining her at Hogwarts.”

“I know you won’t like it, but – wait, seriously, you knew? How?”

“I’m Batman. It’s my job to know.”

“And you’re okay with it?”

“You’re the one who’s going to have to live with your decision, no matter what you chose. But yes, I’m okay with it. You should have a connection to your family, which you won’t get by staying here, and if the education is all she claimed it was, it’s going to be a good thing for you. Of course,” Batman smirked, “you won’t be allowed to fall behind in your regular studying or training. You’ll have your work cut out for you.”

Harry sighed. “Fine…”
Also, titles. Need a title. I thought about The Wizard of Gotham, but there's already a story with that title floating around. Granted, it hasn't been updated since '07, but still.

And Houses. Which House do you think this Harry fits in? I know which one I would like to put him in (Hufflepuff), but I can think of justifications for all of them, and I'm not sure which one fits this Harry best.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » January 8th, 2013, 12:34 am

The house Harry ends up in depends on what trait this Harry exemplifies the most and what would make the most sense for the story. Here's what my thoughts on the Houses:

GRYFFINDOR - Definitely a viable option for this version of Harry. The level of nerve required to be able to fight crime in the city of Gotham would certainly meet the requirements. The problem though is this Harry has been trained Batman, so bravery is not the only trait he has. Batman would never allow one of his charges to join him until they learned that there is a time and a place for everything. For the purposes of this story, Gryffindor would probably wouldn't be the first choice.

HUFFLEPUFF - This version of Harry would also meet the requirements to enter Hufflepuff. Batman would most certainly have had Harry go through a rigorous training regime before he let Harry join him on patrol, and he would have impressed on Harry the importance of justice. My main issue with Harry joining Hufflepuff though is that, well, he was trained by Batman. Trust would be something Harry would not be likely to give out freely, and while he isn't disrespectful of authority in this story, he also wouldn't blindly follow it either.

RAVENCLAW - This house would be my bet for the house Harry ends up in. In this story you're writing, Harry is probably already light years ahead of the rest of the students (and most of the wizarding world :secret_laugh: ) with respect to deductive thinking. This is also the House that would probably challenge Harry the most, since unlike the other houses, a logic riddle is needed to even enter the dormitory. Pretty much the only down-side is the difference between the way Harry thinks and the rest of the wizarding world thinks.

SLYTHERIN - Now this house has some potential for a Batman-trained Harry. While Harry might not be overly ambitious, he would definitely have the level of cunning and resourcefulness that would make a good Slytherin. It would lend itself to creating an atmosphere that would keep Harry on his toes, as well as showing the rest of Hogwarts that good people can come from Slytherin. About the only thing I can think that would make this a bad choice story-wise is interplay with the rest of the school. In particular, would it be possible for Harry to be friends with Hermione and Ronald?

In my opinion, I think the best house for your version of Harry would be Ravenclaw, followed by Slytherin, Gryffindor, and lastly Hufflepuff.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to come up with a good title at the moment. If I can think of a good one, I'll post it later.

Very Respectfully,
Bezzerker

EDIT: For the title, how about Case Files of the Harrier Magus?
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 8th, 2013, 7:51 am

GRYFFINDOR - Definitely a viable option for this version of Harry. The level of nerve required to be able to fight crime in the city of Gotham would certainly meet the requirements. The problem though is this Harry has been trained Batman, so bravery is not the only trait he has. Batman would never allow one of his charges to join him until they learned that there is a time and a place for everything. For the purposes of this story, Gryffindor would probably wouldn't be the first choice.
Harry definitely fits the bravery aspect of Gryffindor House, and I could easily go with this, but I don't know, I'm not really feeling it.
RAVENCLAW - This house would be my bet for the house Harry ends up in. In this story you're writing, Harry is probably already light years ahead of the rest of the students (and most of the wizarding world ) with respect to deductive thinking. This is also the House that would probably challenge Harry the most, since unlike the other houses, a logic riddle is needed to even enter the dormitory. Pretty much the only down-side is the difference between the way Harry thinks and the rest of the wizarding world thinks.
Harry would probably fit here as well, but I'm reluctant to put him here because Harry isn't a prodigy or genius. All the skill and knowledge he's gotten is the result of training and hard work. Granted, he had exceptional teachers in the forms of Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, and Kent Nelson, but Harry himself isn't gifted that way. On an unrelated note, I think having the password to your dorm be a logic puzzle or riddle is a bad idea. Really bad idea. It sounds good in theory, but I'm thinking that any logic puzzle hard enough to give non-Ravenclaw first year trouble, isn't going to be challenging for any semi-intelligent seventh year, no matter their house, and anything that's going to keep out other house upper years is going to be too hard for even the smartest first year.
SLYTHERIN - Now this house has some potential for a Batman-trained Harry. While Harry might not be overly ambitious, he would definitely have the level of cunning and resourcefulness that would make a good Slytherin. It would lend itself to creating an atmosphere that would keep Harry on his toes, as well as showing the rest of Hogwarts that good people can come from Slytherin. About the only thing I can think that would make this a bad choice story-wise is interplay with the rest of the school. In particular, would it be possible for Harry to be friends with Hermione and Ronald?
Harry definitely has the cunning to survive in Slytherin, though he's not quite as ambitious as the rest of the house would be, and it would difficult for the rest of the story.
HUFFLEPUFF - This version of Harry would also meet the requirements to enter Hufflepuff. Batman would most certainly have had Harry go through a rigorous training regime before he let Harry join him on patrol, and he would have impressed on Harry the importance of justice. My main issue with Harry joining Hufflepuff though is that, well, he was trained by Batman. Trust would be something Harry would not be likely to give out freely, and while he isn't disrespectful of authority in this story, he also wouldn't blindly follow it either.
I would like Harry in Hufflepuff partly because I think there's a real lack of good Hufflepuff!Harry stories out there (though that's a bit meta to be the only reason), and because I see this Harry as a very hard worker. As mentioned above, he is not a genius or prodigy, he is just a very hard worker. Everything he's got, from skills to knowledge to training, he got by working his butt off. Granted, circumstances allowed him certain opportunities that others would have, but he was just able to take advantage of them because he worked very hard to do so. Add on top that he's had that sense of justice and fair play instilled in him by Batman, and while he may not trust easily, once you do have his loyalty, it's unshakeable, and I think Hufflepuff is a good fit.

But hey, that's still a couple updates away, so why worry now? :P

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » January 8th, 2013, 10:26 am

I agree with your analysis for both Gryffindor and Slytherin. Harry has the qualities, but neither house really fits Harry or the story either.

One thing regarding Ravenclaw. The four main traits associated with the house are intelligence, creativity, learning, and wit. While there certainly would be quite a few prodigies and geniuses who get sorted into Ravenclaw, it isn't the main requirement to enter. Harry himself could be said to be a seeker prodigy, yet in canon Ravenclaw wasn't brought up by the Sorting Hat as the best choice for him. Plus, one of the scenes could be one where Harry suggests a better security system for the house than a simple logic puzzle (would be a good source of comedy in my opinion). The first book actually has Hermoine say that most wizards, including adults, lack the necessary skills to work out logic puzzles, so the house might be more secure against entry by most students of the other houses.

Your (non-meta) points about Hufflepuff are definitely good ones. While I personally don't see Hufflepuff as being the first choice, I do see the choice now as being between only Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. If you do decide to go with Hufflepuff, Harry is most likely going to end up livid with what they have as their "password". :devil
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 8th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Your (non-meta) points about Hufflepuff are definitely good ones. While I personally don't see Hufflepuff as being the first choice, I do see the choice now as being between only Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. If you do decide to go with Hufflepuff, Harry is most likely going to end up livid with what they have as their "password".
I must have missed something. What's the Hufflepuff password?

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby someone » January 8th, 2013, 5:21 pm

What exactly be the problem with Gryffindor?

Whatever other qualities this Harry has the overriding one is that he puts his own life in danger to help people he doesn't even know on a daily basis.

I can see Harry trying to get into Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff (this Harry would find out enough about Slytherin to know that would be a bad idea) because he thinks he will be more at home with them, but the sorting hat will be inclined to put him in Gryffindor.
someone

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop