Chapter 43: A Stunning Victory (SPOILERS)

Chapter 43: A Stunning Victory (SPOILERS)

Unread postby DoctorNutter » April 3rd, 2019, 12:18 am

Welcome to the long-expected party! First impressions under the cut:
Spoiler: show
probably my favourite moment of the whole thing is Harry's very public, very well-said "fuck this shit and fuck you in particular" malediction of Dumbledore and the entire process.

Colin being the culprit was unexpected, but maaaan it fits. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends the rest of his year randomly waking up on fire, given Ginny & Ron's...visceral...reactions.

it is INTERESTING that the AiP returns now, after a prolonged absence. I suspect this is something of a feint so we keep pointing the finger at Malfoy or Snape, when it'll turn out to be someone totally innocuous, the way it did with DeadManWalking Creevey.
DoctorNutter

Re: Chapter 43: A Stunning Victory (SPOILERS)

Unread postby thrawnca » April 3rd, 2019, 12:30 am

I don't think that the term "innocuous" can apply here, when his goal was almost certainly Harry's death.
thrawnca

Unread postby DoctorNutter » April 3rd, 2019, 12:36 am

touche - I meant someone we'd never even think to suspect, and that's almost exclusively the context I've heard "innocuous" used in.
DoctorNutter

Unread postby thrawnca » April 3rd, 2019, 1:32 am

So, anyone's thoughts on Ginny decking Colin? :)
thrawnca

Unread postby PaddyMurphy » April 3rd, 2019, 1:02 pm

It was well-deserved. Maybe this will break Colin of his psychotic fanboy hero worship of Harry.

Harry's reaction to being chosen was definitely great, I agree with you on that, DoctorNutter.

As for the AiP, I think this chapter pretty much confirms that it can't be Draco or Snape, since they were both being observed while Harry took part in the task. Snape was up with the judges, who would've noticed him disappearing, and somebody would've noticed if the Durmstrang champion suddenly disappeared, too.
*Your favorite inspirational quote here*
PaddyMurphy

Unread postby thrawnca » April 4th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Hmm... what are the chances of Ginny taking Ron's place in the Second Task? I'd think that Harry would miss her more; he'd go to the ends of the earth for Ron, but losing Ginny is what would really provoke a Roaring Rampage of Revenge. On the other hand, the judges might not realise that. I guess it depends on how they're choosing the hostage; do they rely on their own judgement, or do they have magical assistance? If the latter, how would it interact with Occlumency?

(And would Ginny just meekly agree to be dunked? I'd be interested to see what happens if she doesn't.)
thrawnca

Unread postby DoctorNutter » April 5th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Wild thought: who says it'll be one of the students? Things could get really interesting if, say, Sirius Black was Harry's hostage. ...ugh, just had the worst thought: what if Draco doesn't have anyone? In this universe, he's utterly irredeemable, and he may not have anyone he truly likes or cares for besides himself. They might need to rethink the Second Task if that's the case. In thinking on it, too, there's no guarantee that the task will be exactly the same. The First Task was, sure, but everything else is changed, from champions to restrictions to judges. Who's to say that the merfolk won't have several hostages per champion, or an actual prized possession instead of a person, or something wholly different and devious recovered from the depths of the Authorlord's fathomless mind?

tbh I'm more interested in the Yule Ball. I expect the interactions between the golden six to be adorable, awkward, and hilarious.
DoctorNutter

Unread postby thrawnca » April 6th, 2019, 7:56 am

To be fair to Draco, there are indications that he was being drugged during second year, and now he's been closely supervised for a year by a potions master who is clearly motivated to make him win the Triwizard Tournament. Who knows what potions he's on.

Are the Malfoys senior present? Maybe his mum could get tied up in the mer-village. I get the impression that he cares about her.

I don't anticipate the Authorlord altering things just for fun; he's generally been quite good about things only altering from the original timeline as a result of Harry's influence. If the second task is substantially different, Harry would definitely try to find out why.
thrawnca

Unread postby thrawnca » April 16th, 2019, 5:48 pm

So, I've come across a bit of a sticking point, which perhaps Chapter 44 could explain - how come Draco wasn't disqualified from the First Task for bringing in equipment other than his wand? Between the witnesses who know he only cast a banishing charm, the acid damage done to the Fireball, and almost certainly the shards of the vial, it shouldn't be hard to prove.

I checked, and like canon, the champions were definitely told (by Cuthbert Throckmorton in this case) that no other equipment was allowed.
thrawnca

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past