Other 'Team 8' fanfiction

Other 'Team 8' fanfiction

Unread postby tjchaos » May 8th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Here's a couple of stories I've run across since discovering 'Team 8'. I believe Matthew has had some input into these stories.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3641876/1/Team_Eight_Pure

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3877827/1/A ... ith_Naruto

The first is a 'Team 8' version of the first Naruto Movie titled 'Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow' around here. The second is similar to the Omake stories although the author states that it doesn't take place in "the main Team 8 story arc". I would say that applies to the first as well. Pretty interesting that a fanfiction story is inspiring fanfiction based on it. Considering the nature of fanfiction.net it would be easy to miss these stories so I was curious if anyone knew of any others.
tjchaos

Re: Other 'Team 8' fanfiction

Unread postby U2P » May 9th, 2008, 12:45 am

Here's a couple of stories I've run across since discovering 'Team 8'. I believe Matthew has had some input into these stories.

The first is a 'Team 8' version of the first Naruto Movie titled 'Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow' around here. The second is similar to the Omake stories although the author states that it doesn't take place in "the main Team 8 story arc". I would say that applies to the first as well. Pretty interesting that a fanfiction story is inspiring fanfiction based on it. Considering the nature of fanfiction.net it would be easy to miss these stories so I was curious if anyone knew of any others.
Wow, and I bet there's even more of them out there. Amazing that one author's own fan fiction can be so good that people not only prefer it to the canon(T8 is canon to me though!), but write fan fiction based off of it? Truly your skill at writing knows no bounds Authorlord! Hmm...Now I'm going to have to spend some time looking for more of these just to see how they're done. Let me know if you find any others will you?
U2P

Unread postby Zerrat » May 9th, 2008, 1:17 am

Wow, I've only ever seen one other author who had fanfics made of their fanfics. Ashbear writes FF8 romance stories focusing on Squall and Rinoa, and she has had several fanfictions after her work and a fanlisting. I kid you not.

And those were nice, nice fanfics. I want to go search too, now.
Zerrat

Unread postby LightLink17 » May 9th, 2008, 1:20 am

There are lots of Dangerverse fanfics out there too. I mean, fanfics of that series.
LightLink17

Unread postby Wittgen » May 9th, 2008, 1:35 am

And Greywizard wrote a YAHF that was a cross with Rorscharch's Make a Wish fic. Heh, Mr. Blue!Xander is awesome.
Wittgen

Unread postby unknown277 » May 9th, 2008, 1:56 am

There is also this great story I've been reading and you all should, too. It's an AU where Hinata is the Kyuubi container and the Yondaime is alive. It draws a LOT from Team 8, but it's still an awesome story on its own right. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4131566/1/T ... Hyuga_Clan
unknown277

Unread postby U2P » May 9th, 2008, 2:02 am

There is also this great story I've been reading and you all should, too. It's an AU where Hinata is the Kyuubi container and the Yondaime is alive. It draws a LOT from Team 8, but it's still an awesome story on its own right. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4131566/1/T ... Hyuga_Clan
Uh we bash, and make fun of how bad that story is here all the time. Just a little forewarning. The character thoughts are unrealistic. I for one could not get past the 3 rd paragraph.
U2P

Unread postby unknown277 » May 9th, 2008, 2:14 am

Uh we bash, and make fun of how bad that story is here all the time. Just a little forewarning. The character thoughts are unrealistic. I for one could not get past the 3 rd paragraph.

Well, I did enjoy it. Sometimes the character trait seem out of it, but I don't think it's THAT bad to stop reading at the 3rd paragraph. Actually, along Team 8 (and I've read more bashing for this one than the former), it's one of the few of the only ones I look forward to reading. But hey, it's a matter of taste. I still think it could be enjoyable. It may not be up to T8 standards, but how many are?
unknown277

Unread postby LightLink17 » May 9th, 2008, 2:16 am

Yeah, I was like "Wasn't that the one in the Naruto Fics to stay away from thread"?

I don't mind it. I don't think the character's thoughts are unrealistic in the age way. Just dumb. But that's nothing more than sloppy writing. In fact, my major concern with it is the prose being pretty bad I think.
LightLink17

Unread postby Unicornzvi » May 9th, 2008, 2:21 am

Yeah, I was like "Wasn't that the one in the Naruto Fics to stay away from thread"?

I don't mind it. I don't think the character's thoughts are unrealistic in the age way. Just dumb. But that's nothing more than sloppy writing. In fact, my major concern with it is the prose being pretty bad I think.
Considering the stories I recognized in that thread that sounds like a pretty solid recommendation to read it.
Unicornzvi

Unread postby Togusa » May 10th, 2008, 1:49 pm

It's not strictly Team 8 fanfiction, but I found out one of the few time-turner Naruto fanfics I like and respect, and I thought 'man, you must tell about it'.

So here it is.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4041754/1/Time_and_Again

To me, it's Naruto's equivalent of NoFP in Harry Potter, war-worn Naruto finds himself back. But not in your usual, annoying 'oh-I-got-back-and-straight-kicked-their-arses', because things are never that simple. Also, Naruto doesn't immediately know or accept what's happened, because it's hard to do so.

Read and tell, the first two chapters where the ones that conviced me that the story was worth the time. Also, it's pointing out to be a Naru-Hina, with an interesting background about that. You'll see...
Togusa

Unread postby Kodra » May 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm

I wrote that second fic mostly because I was somewhat intrigued by the idea of Hinata spending time alone in Naruto's apartment, and was somewhat saddened that the scene wasn't expounded upon in Team 8.

I also prefer to write based off of the Team 8 canon because it's focusing on much more interesting characters than the real canon does. Sasuke and Sakura are so painfully cliche, where as Hinata and Shino are both incredibly interesting characters that play great with Naruto's character.
Kodra

Unread postby unknown134 » May 12th, 2008, 7:28 am

Actually, KyLewin, the author of 'Time and Again' told me in a review response that he isn't sure yet whether this story will be Naru/Hina or not.

My opinion on 'Time and Again' - contains some spoilers:
Spoiler: show
I thought it started out quite well, and while the rehash of the wave country arc was a bit tedious and boring, I thought the mission with the bloodline thieves was extremely well done.

However, I'm a bit tired of clueless!Naruto, and I don't agree with whatever message the author is trying to tell with that whole 'Hinata's unhappy marriage in the future that Naruto didn't prevent' sideplot. Especially the fact that Hinata forgives him for upsetting her during that first meeting without it ever being explained to Naruto what he did wrong grated on my nerves. It's reasonably in character for Hinata, but I still think Naruto ought to be told what he did wrong, if he's too dumb to realize it by himself.

Anyway, I have yet to check out the most recent chapters, but the story is certainly worth a look.

Quizer
unknown134

Unread postby unknown315 » May 14th, 2008, 8:49 pm

While certainly not Team 8, exactly, I'd be lying if I said my own main fic wasn't heavily influenced by the idea behind it.

Except I went the other direction. I brought Hinata onto Team 7 in place of Sakura in People Lie.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3745099/1/People_Lie

I've changed a lot of things in the series, though. Among others, I didn't rehash the bell test, the wave arc, or the chunin exams. It starts during the academy days, where Naruto is basically the polar opposite of how he is in canon. He's slightly smarter, but he's got a vicious streak a mile wide and basically hates everyone. When actually ordered to go out and make a friend by his mentor, Ibiki, (the one person with enough insights into his personality to keep his rage and pain in check so he doesn't hurt the people around him), he stumbles into Hinata, who had no idea what he was really like. Naruto takes Hinata under his wing, showing her how to develop and nurse her resentment and anger towards her family into something that gives her strength. Hinata goes along with him because she understands that just as he teaches her to be strong, she's basically his only chance for redemption as a human being. The characters change a lot from when they're first introduced, and I'm over 130k words into the story, so a lot has happened.

Don't let that description fool you, though. It's actually pretty funny. Here's a couple of small snippets.
“If it gets cut in two, that indicates a wind type. Water: it gets wet. Fire: it bursts into flame. Earth: it crumbles into dust.” He held up two more folded sheets of paper with a smile, then handed them to Naruto and Hinata.

Naruto looked at his sheet of paper dubiously. “Um, Kakashi-sensei?” he hazarded. “You gave me a page from a book.”

“Hmm?” Kakashi replied. “I don’t think so. What does it say?”

“Uhh,” Naruto began, tilting it to catch the firelight. “’But we mustn’t, Minoru-kun, someone might see,’ Akira protested weakly, gasping as the boy’s hand slid into her panties’?!” he read, his voice rising perceptibly toward the end.

They all stared at him.

“That’s what it says,” he protested. “Look,” he said, brandishing the page. ‘Akira’s too large uniform slipped off her shoulders and puddled at her feet, her cute and shy face looking to one side as she bared herself,’ it’s what it says!”

“Ah,” Kakashi exclaimed. “I understand. That’s a page from Icha Icha Blushing Maidens. For the chakra paper to turn into that…” he paused. “It means you have the elemental affinity of hentai.”

Naruto stared at him in complete disbelief.
Hinata, for her part, was looking around with her byakugan, looking underneath the blood for anything unusual, like perhaps something painted on the inside wall before the violence. It was sort of difficult, however, since the blood had soaked into the wood quite deep in most places. Focusing on her eyes had the additional benefit of tuning out her sense of smell. Despite a dab of salve in her nose, the place reeked.

“It’s like they painted the barn with cow,” she murmured, turning slowly in a circle.

“While ordinarily I find cow to be very tasteful, I can’t help but think this comes off as rather gaudy and gratuitous,” Sasuke replied quietly.
“As I said, I regret that I and my team have been away on a mission, and I only today got back and heard the news! I am not the man who will ignore your plight, I am the man who will help you fan the flames of your youthful power to greater heights!”

“Arson? Cool!” Naruto said enthusiastically.

“I like fire,” Sasuke admitted.

“Konoha shall burn,” Hinata added quietly.

Gai paused, unsure exactly how to respond to that. “Ehhh… that’s not exactly what-“

I won't spoil the rest. I hope you give it a shot.
unknown315

Unread postby Lochar » May 14th, 2008, 8:52 pm

I love that line. Shows you just how far Hinata has come, when she wants to burn down the town. :P
Lochar

Unread postby Greybane » May 14th, 2008, 8:55 pm

:rollin:
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby U2P » May 14th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I love that line. Shows you just how far Hinata has come, when she wants to burn down the town. :P
I agree will prob go ahead and give it a read. The spoilers got my interest.
U2P

Unread postby unknown315 » May 14th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Some of it IS dark. But a lot of it is comedy. So, the net result is that it tends to lean towards dark comedy.

I'll be honest with you. Naruto treats Hinata very badly at first. The kind of things that some people have seriously disliked. But Naruto himself has been treated very badly, and he DOES improve. That's the whole point. The story isn't really about characters developing godlike fighting abilities, it's about deeply damaged child assassins finding healing and, if not normality, at least stability in each other. If you don't like a character, just keep reading. They'll change.

The most common comment I get, actually, is usually some kind of disbelief at what Sasuke has turned into through constant exposure to this Naruto and Hinata. It ends up being kind of a cruel comedy duo with him and Naruto. Sure, he starts off an ice queen stoic asshole in the beginning, but by the end he is one magnificent bastard. He's very much an asshole, but he's THEIR asshole.
Naruto grinned. “You’re a compassionate soul, Sasuke. It’s really very thoughtful of you to release the little woodland creatures together.”

“Yes,” he admitted, dangling the mouse in front of the snake’s head.

Its tongue flickered out, tasting the air.

“Together.”

Lee made a strangled noise and ran for the trees with an armload of his little friends.

Naruto chuckled and looked at Sasuke, who was still teasing the snake with the dangling mouse.

“You’re a magnificent bastard, Sasuke,” he said admiringly.

Sasuke smiled back with a glint in his eyes. “Thanks. I’d do it anyway, but you know, it really gives me a warm feeling inside to know that it benefits the team.”
unknown315

Unread postby U2P » May 14th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Some of it IS dark. But a lot of it is comedy. So, the net result is that it tends to lean towards dark comedy.

I'll be honest with you. Naruto treats Hinata very badly at first. The kind of things that some people have seriously disliked. But Naruto himself has been treated very badly, and he DOES improve. That's the whole point. The story isn't really about characters developing godlike fighting abilities, it's about deeply damaged child assassins finding healing and, if not normality, at least stability in each other. If you don't like a character, just keep reading. They'll change.

The most common comment I get, actually, is usually some kind of disbelief at what Sasuke has turned into through constant exposure to this Naruto and Hinata. It ends up being kind of a cruel comedy duo with him and Naruto. Sure, he starts off an ice queen stoic asshole in the beginning, but by the end he is one magnificent bastard. He's very much an asshole, but he's THEIR asshole.
Naruto grinned. “You’re a compassionate soul, Sasuke. It’s really very thoughtful of you to release the little woodland creatures together.”

“Yes,” he admitted, dangling the mouse in front of the snake’s head.

Its tongue flickered out, tasting the air.

“Together.”

Lee made a strangled noise and ran for the trees with an armload of his little friends.

Naruto chuckled and looked at Sasuke, who was still teasing the snake with the dangling mouse.

“You’re a magnificent bastard, Sasuke,” he said admiringly.

Sasuke smiled back with a glint in his eyes. “Thanks. I’d do it anyway, but you know, it really gives me a warm feeling inside to know that it benefits the team.”
Alright I read the first chapter, and went ahead with the bookmarking so I could finish it later. Will be an interesting read to be sure. I very much enjoy dark comedy sooooooooooo I should like it!
U2P

Unread postby KitS.AllGoode » May 14th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Ah! People Lie? I've been reading that one for a while. Really excellent stuff. I'm sure people might complain about it, after all, it is pretty different, and there have been some things that didn't work out so well in terms of storytelling, but it's quality work, Nugar. And very funny.
KitS.AllGoode

Unread postby viridian » May 14th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Add this to the "Pip your fics" thread that She Who Must Be Obeyed went and stickied for us...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm

The dark humor aspect of it is nice. Of course, having Sasuke turn into a dyed in the wool royal bastard due to Naruto and Hinata's influence was good. I almost pity Kakashi, almost.

It's not that I hate the cyclops either, he is portrayed rather well in this fic. It's just that too many fanon portrayals show him as too much of a fan of Sasuke, to the detriment of Naruto. He does teach the boy, but fans tend to use the training he subjected Sasuke to in order to prepare for his fight with Gaara as one of the biggest reasons. I won't go any further on that it is too much like :joe: .
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby bandaid » June 25th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I've been fallowing "People lie" for a wile and I gotta say that it's a lotta fun. I ceep thinking what if Canon naruto were this cool..........*sigh*

my favorite part
Spoiler: show
He looked at her, looked at the two pigeon halves in her hands, then gave her a measuring look.

“One date.”

And he walked away.

Sakura blinked, shell shocked now that Sasuke had just agreed to a date.
“Stuff your bra.”

“Huh?” she asked dumbly.

“For your date with Sasuke,” Hinata elaborated. “Stuff your bra. He’s a breast man, and you…” Hinata briefly cupped Sakura’s chest in derision.

She stood there, still shocked that Sasuke, the coolest boy in Konoha, her crush, her one true love, had just agreed to a date.

“YES!” she cried suddenly, thrusting her fists, and dripping pigeon halves, into the air in exultation. “I am so totally rubbing this in Ino’s face!”

Naruto’s eyes lit up with glee and mischief, and he nudged Hinata. “Now that’s a girl I can get behind! It’s one thing to beat your friend out for a date, it’s a whole different bird to shove a mangled pigeon in her face!”

“She is a credit to my gender,” Hinata deadpanned.
:rollin: :rollin:
bandaid

Unread postby tjchaos » February 7th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Well since Painsake has posted the story over on Fanfiction.net and even though the story has it's own thread I figure it belongs here as well:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4845473/1/T ... etroVersal

Looks like at least three stories now, not counting the omake's.
tjchaos

Unread postby 36T » January 20th, 2016, 2:45 pm

While certainly not Team 8, exactly, I'd be lying if I said my own main fic wasn't heavily influenced by the idea behind it.

Except I went the other direction. I brought Hinata onto Team 7 in place of Sakura in People Lie.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3745099/1/People_Lie

I just read that story OMG! It was so great! but I really disliked the whole shoggoth thing... Baaaad cult monster, Baaaaad.
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
36T

Return to “%s” Team 8