Jashin Hunt / Book Recovery

Mission transcripts and reports. (Roleplaying threads here)

Jashin Hunt / Book Recovery

Unread postby Jasruv » September 25th, 2009, 11:37 pm

The start for the Jashin Hunt / Book Recovery thread. I think that our first place to investigate should be a medium sized mining town along the north border between Waterfall and Rice Countries on the leafninja map. It would be almost due west of the Valley of the End.

The Book Recovery part is my character's personal mission here. The Books are tomes on ancient and powerful demonic lore and summonings. These Books have been destroyed in the past but always show up again within a few years. The best anyone has been able to do to minimize the damage they can cause is to wrap them in powerful bindings and store them. Unfortunately, the bindings have to be maintained or the Books can wriggle free and appear elsewhere.

Kamisori's goal is to recover the Books, seal them within a specially prepared scroll for transport, and eliminate the spread of the knowledge contained within them.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Re: Jashin Hunt / Book Recovery

Unread postby spudman » September 26th, 2009, 3:43 am

"Jashinites?" Higure visibly twitched. "I hate Jashinites. Bastards won't get a chance to try using me as a human sacrifice this time."

He mutters under his breath various ways to deal with the cultists, with a general theme of an overabundance of high grade explosive tags. The muttering stops with a barely visible twitch. "And possible demons? Maybe I should've let the hospital waste two or three days processing my medical clearance instead of running it over myself."
Yamato (Nishiyori) ignores the remark, and after getting the scroll back from Higure, exits the building and hops onto a nearby rooftop. He performs a quick summoning and the white rat Shiro appears once more.

"Do you need me for something, sir?"

Yamato nods and provides the descriptions of Kamisori and Ando Shiki.

"Tell the others to talk to the regular rats, see what comes up and report back. And here." he hands her another sack of goodies.

"Right now, sir? But I havn't done anything yet."

"I trust you, Shiro-chan, just make sure you share. Now go."

"Sir!" *poof*

The shinobi will travel by rooftop to the market district. They visit shops where sealing supplies were sold, where the Hokage said he would likely be, but it seems the two ninja have missed him. Luckily it is about that time that Shiro shows up with information on where Kamisori is. The demon slayer is eventually found by the stream where he is at.

Yamato shunshins in about 50 feet away from the client. How Higure enters is up to him.

"Kamisori-san." Yamato bows and introduces himself. "My name is Yamato. I have been assigned as Captain for this mission. This is Special Jounin Yuuhi Higure. Does anyone have any questions, so far?"

oog: If Shiki is there the introductions will extend to him as well. If not, Yamato will ask where he is. But if Kamisori doesn't know he'll probably get word from the rats, shortly. From the scroll Higure should know that the mission might include investigation and cover identities.
spudman

Unread postby MEKristian » September 26th, 2009, 12:29 pm

*looks up from a book* Oh. You. *turns back to book*
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Jasruv » September 27th, 2009, 9:01 pm

<< Kamisori cleans his pen and stores it in his lap desk before storing it all into a seal without handseals. He then gets up and returns Yamato's bow. >>

"Well met, Yamato-san. Yuuhi-san."

"My only question at the moment is whether or not your Hokage has been able to generate any leads at the moment. I only ask because of our unknown time limit. If our targets were less irrational, it would take them at least several months before I would worry about using the information."

"However, most Jashinite cultists are likely to proceed with a summoning ritual well before they are actually able to succeed. And the only thing more dangerous than a successful demon summoning can be a botched one. If all members of the team are here and we have a lead, I would prefer to move out tonight or early tommorrow morning."

<< Kamisori makes a apologetic bow. >>

"I don't mean to be abrupt or rude, but I've been hitting stumbling blocks left and right following this trail. And frankly, the thought of Jashinites having the ability to summon high level demons gives me a fairly high level of anxiety."
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby spudman » September 28th, 2009, 2:17 pm

"As you told Hokage-sama, Jashin cultists are varied in their behaviors and profiles. That makes looking for a precise lead more difficult. But some reports on a town by the name of Sentetsu (pig iron, ancient wise men) indicate something is going on there. Disappearance of travellers in the area, some inconsistencies in reported death rates, that sort of thing. It's a medium-size mining town near the border of Iron Country in a fairly isolated area so it wouldn't be too hard to hide something like that. Not much to go on but it is worth looking into."

"It's better if we leave early tomorrow. I understand time is an issue but we must make certain everyone is prepared. We'll likely need to work out cover identities to investigate the town and its people without letting any cultists know anyone is on to them. I have some limited experience with Jashin cultists but I'd like to hear what you have to say on them."

When working for a client that is an expert, you put their expertise to use. You still defer to their knowledge if you need to since you won't be able to find out everything on the subject in a briefing, but it's always good to do some learning beforehand so you don't need everything explained as it becomes dangerously relevant in the middle of the mission.

Yamato then looks to the two other ninja with them. "I suggest you both listen to what Kamisori-san has to say. I'll say this now though, once we're done here we'll leave to outfit ourselves for a possibly extended infiltration and investigation, this includes civilian clothing. We'll meet up tomorrow at the North gate at 5 AM. Understood?"

Edit: changed to Iron country, thanks phht.

As for Burn Notice voiceovers, I've already done a couple and there will be more to come :cool
Last edited by spudman on September 28th, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » September 28th, 2009, 3:21 pm

[You know, when I hit the "When working for a client that is an expert" spot, I went "ahaha, Burn Notice voiceover!" :rollin: Just something to point out - the northern border section between Waterfall and Rice Field Countries... is Iron Country border (by our Atlas).]

Higure gives a half wave to the client in response to the welcome and listens to the conversation. When he hears 'botched demon summoning' he tilts his head briefly.

"Extended infiltrate & investigate. Meet tomorrow 5AM at North Gate. Gotcha, Boss. Um, Kamisori-san, would Jashin cultists with demon summoning knowledge work with bandit camps preying on big-ish cities?"
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Jasruv » September 28th, 2009, 4:18 pm

"Extended infiltrate & investigate. Meet tomorrow 5AM at North Gate. Gotcha, Boss. Um, Kamisori-san, would Jashin cultists with demon summoning knowledge work with bandit camps preying on big-ish cities?"
"I've generally run into two types of Jashinite cult."

"The first is the least dangerous and the most common found and that is what I call the 'Hick' type. It is typically a group of men with marginal jobs who decide that the murder of other people makes them more important or 'special'. They are difficult to find because they usually arrange for one of their members to become the local town leader or magistrate of their small community. Although no less deadly for their victims, their 'piety' is shallow and their predations are minimal unless a true believer cultist finds and motivates them."

"The second type is very difficult to find and root out and is made up of otherwise seemingly sane people who delve into the true depths of the faith of Jashin, usually in pursuit of the immortality that was exemplified by the Akatsuki member Hidan. I generally call this type of cult the 'nutjobs' but the members can be doctors, lawyers, jewelry makers, etc. . . . Real professional type of people who are very capable of covering their tracks. This type of cult also tends toward the more drawnout and torturous methods of sacrifice in order to make each one count more. A rather twisted application of the motto 'waste not, want not'."

"The situation you describe would likely point to the latter type of cult. If it is Jashinites, and it could be that the bandits just intercepted the information, then the cult itself would likly be located far away from wherever it occured.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby MEKristian » September 28th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Those nutjobs as you call them usually will work with anybody who supplies them. *closes book and puts it away* Give them bodies -alive or dead, they're not fussy as long as they're usable- and they'll work with just about anybody. And due to the fact that they're nigh unstoppable, they make wonderful storm-troopers for nobles who can keep the body count high.
MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » September 28th, 2009, 11:30 pm

"The situation you describe would likely point to the latter type of cult. If it is Jashinites, and it could be that the bandits just intercepted the information, then the cult itself would likly be located far away from wherever it occured."
Higure shrugged. "Could be. In this instance about a week ago, there was a nice looking, large seal on the ground. Almost looked like the camp had been built with a spot for it in mind. The seal master for it even politely had a dead man switch on it tied to himself. When I made the camp go boom while leaving the seal and immediate area around it untouched, one of the surviving bandits killed him, yelling that he knew the seal master would betray them."
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Jasruv » September 29th, 2009, 12:08 am

Higure shrugged. "Could be. In this instance about a week ago, there was a nice looking, large seal on the ground. Almost looked like the camp had been built with a spot for it in mind. The seal master for it even politely had a dead man switch on it tied to himself. When I made the camp go boom while leaving the seal and immediate area around it untouched, one of the surviving bandits killed him, yelling that he knew the seal master would betray them."
<< Kamisori tilts his head in thought for few moments in obvious thought. >>

"What kind of demon resulted and how big was it? Did you find any hints that they were waiting for a specific time to release the ritual? Did you get the impression that the seal master was supposed to die to trigger it or was the dead man switch an insurance policy against the bandits?"

"If you can, I'd appreciate it if you could sketch out any symbols used in the seal that were unusual or out of place. My off the cuff guess would be that the large seal you mention was gathering power for a much larger summoning but doing it at a slow rate to avoid being detected. When the sealmaster's death triggered it, it likely brought a random demon with whatever power it had available. But I could easily be wrong. Althugh I have studied sealing as practiced here in the Elemental Countries, I mainly use a couple of different systems taught in the West."

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Phht » September 29th, 2009, 1:30 am

"Boar Demon. I'd say around eight feet in height. He was really wanting to be released and eat us, until he heard we were from Konoha. I guess he hates dog demons or something. Then he got mad and broke the containment section of the seal my partner was frantically powering. As to timing, there was a festival at Tanzaku Gai that was to start that night or the next day or something. Unsure if it's related, but given the numbers of tourists that would flock to a place having a multi-day festival, and bandits talking about releasing doom on the town.... If someone wanted a lot of dead, it probably would've been during the festival.

"As for the seal, I don't have much idea what any of it looked like. My partner was the one that examined it and worked on reversing it. After the demon was summoned, I was stuck being the distraction. I do remember that he used blood from one of the bandits and did chanting for a full minute before the demon was sent home. Nicely wrapped in a cocoon of paper beforehand, too. Afterwards the seal was sabotaged and buried. But if you want information on the seal layout and design, you should ask Ayumu Sugiura."
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Jasruv » September 29th, 2009, 2:14 am

"Sounds like your team handled it well, especially if you weren't expecting to face a demon before hand. Although it's not a priority at the moment, if we happen to pass by the location, I'd like to stop there and perform a forensic analysis of whatever parts of the seals remain. Whatever's left will keep for a few months so there is no rush on it."

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby spudman » September 29th, 2009, 5:48 am

Hm, I guess that recent encounter is why Hanabi-sama recommended Yuuhi in particular. She likely saw no need to mention the reason, but why not Ayumu as well? Was he unavailable? Tsukiko is already on a mission regrettably, her profiling and investigation skills would have been useful here...

Yamato's thoughts return to what Kamisori was saying.

"Sentetsu is north of here and Tanzaku Gai is southwest, so we will not be passing by it on the way there. But since it can wait like you said there's no problem."

"From what you described if there are Jashinists in Sentetsu they're more likely to be the first type. But that doesn't mean we can assume that or that there are only 'hick' types there."
spudman

Unread postby Jasruv » September 30th, 2009, 6:40 pm

"Actually, I would think any Jashinite involvment would be with a 'Nutjob' sect doing a test run, possibly through manipulation of a 'hick' sect. But it seems like any leads there will only be found through a forensic analysis and that can abide a few months."

"I would request that we have a brief sparring session at a training ground tonight before we meet tomorrow. I'd like to get some idea of how all of you fight in order to cut down on any 'friendly fire' incidents that could occur. My fighting style is. . . ecleletic to the least and may not mesh well with Konoha standard tactics. I can adjust my style if I have some idea of how you all are likely to fight."

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby MEKristian » September 30th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Any -ah- limitations for this mach of yours?
MEKristian

Unread postby spudman » October 1st, 2009, 3:26 am

"We'll limit it to a simple team excercise, the specifics of which I'll give you when we're all there, but no techniques above B-rank. I don't want anyone getting injured before the mission. Anything higher than that can be demonstrated if you truly feel the need to show it." Yamato explains.

"Unless there's anything else anyone needs...Training Ground 15 in one hour."

If there's no further questions* or replies Yamato will disappear in a swirl of leaves and make his way to his apartment. There he'll gear up for the excercise and make his way to Training Ground 15 where he'll wait for the others.

*If there are further questions, he'll do this once everybody is done. (oog: if there is more dialogue I'll go with it, but no point in repeating that last part again)
spudman

Unread postby Jasruv » October 1st, 2009, 1:35 pm

"I could use some directions to the training ground, Yamato-san. This is my first time in Konoha and I've only wandered about the market district so far."

<< I figure that Konoha would take steps to prevent outsiders from having detailed maps of the village, especially after Orochimaru had his agents working with almost impunity during Naruto's genin days. >>

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby spudman » October 1st, 2009, 5:45 pm

"Of course." Yamato writes down the directions to Training Ground 15 from both where they are now and a central location in the market and hands it to Kamisori.

He disappears and a half an hour later he reappears in Training Ground 15 in the standard uniform of a Konoha jounin. The ground is a medium-sized training area that's part forest, part field with a small pond. Getting there early and not sensing anyone else there yet he set up some...surprises for the other three.

It wouldn't do to accidentally blow up the client in a simple spar. Paint tags and projectiles may seem juvenile but they are a safe, useful, and water soluble alternative to the real thing for testing purposes. That and it is amusing.

As there is fifteen minutes left he'll be standing next to a tree, waiting for the other two ninja and the client to arrive.
spudman

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 8:47 pm

*enters the training area* Geez, it's certainly bland. Is there some rule that all training fields have to look the same? Well whatever *lays down on the field* Best just wait.
MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » October 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm

"You've never seen Training Area 44 then, huh?" Higure meandered into view drinking some sort of highly caffienated drink, if the claims on the outside of the container were any indication. He was wearing a courier bag with pouches of various sizes securely attached to the front strap, including one of sufficient size for demolition tags. Nodding to the two already there, he briefly checked a tree before leaning against it and working on finishing off his drink before start time while letting his gaze wander across the training ground.

[I see we had similar ideas. Practice tags! I just thought bigger scale than you. Don't worry, he made sure they were all practice tags and no live tags were mixed in.]
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 9:32 pm

Oh right, the "Forrest of Death"... it doesn't count, as I've only seen it used for Chunnin exams.
MEKristian

Unread postby Jasruv » October 1st, 2009, 9:49 pm

<< A column of rainbow colored fog forms in an silent instant in the approximate center of the clearing before clearing to reveal Kamisori. He isn't wearing his robe and hat, instead wearing a set of light leather armor that is colored dark orange with tiger-like stripes of dark grey. The armor also has a multitude of pockets and straps which hold his gear, which seems to consist primarily of various sizes of paper and wooden tags and kunai. >>

"I'm not late am I? It took me a little longer than I thought to get here."

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 9:53 pm

... And they call me flashy...
MEKristian

Unread postby spudman » October 2nd, 2009, 12:31 am

"Right on time, Kamisori-san. Before we start another introduction is in order."

A brown rat the size of a large civilian dog appears.

"Ichi, this is Ando Shiki-san, Yuuhi Higure-san, and Kamisori-san, the client. Everyone, Ichi."

"Uh, okay." replies the rat.

"You'll be playing with them today. Do your thing." adds Yamato.

The rat gives off a toothy grin. "Hehe. Gotcha, boss." Ichi forms a hand seal. "Taijuu kage bunshin." Smoke fills the field and two hundred Ichis are there as it clears.

Yamato speaks up in explanation. "The amount of chakra Ichi has is frightening. Unfortunately he can only perform two techniques." "Hey!" "Just do the other one."

"Fine..." one of the Ichis growls. "Henge!" all the rats shout and transform into dull looking mooks with dull swords.

Yamato turns toward the other three humans present. "The excercise is simple, defeat all enemies and keep the client safe. The real Ichi will be wearing this..." Yamato produces a red scarf and gives it to the real Ichi mook, who ties it on his arm. "So try not to kill him, please. Oh, I should mention I'll be your opponent as well."

"Ready? Begin!" The mooks spread out, but about thirty of them immediately rush forward at the two ninja and demon slayer. Yamato disappears, going for a quick shunshin "kill" from behind with a blunt kunai towards Kamisori.

oog: I can do something else if you guys don't approve. Ichi is mainly used if Nishiyori suddenly needs a crowd where there isn't one or a bunch of mooks will actually make a difference, so his use is somewhat limited. Figured a rat that can use mass shadow clones being named Ichi (one) was funny...
Last edited by spudman on October 2nd, 2009, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
spudman

Unread postby MEKristian » October 2nd, 2009, 12:36 am

(I've no problems with the test as it stands)
MEKristian

Return to “%s” Mission Central