Jasruv's One-shots

Jasruv's One-shots

Unread postby Jasruv » September 29th, 2009, 2:03 am

This idea came to me and I was just compelled to write it.

The basic premise is that when Orochimaru puts the 5-element seal on Naruto in the Forest of Death, things go terribly wrong for him because he makes a mistaken assumption. This is a first draft with only spell checking done, so be warned.
Spoiler: show
Orochi's Oopsie.

<<Forest of Death>>

Orochimaru extended his tongue and entrapped the blond Jinchuuriki within its coils as he brought the struggling genin to hang before him with his seal-marked belly exposed. Orochimaru took his time as he prepared the 5-element seal and then slammed his glowing fingers into the seal in an attempt to cut off the raw power that was empowering the strengthening struggles of the trapped boy. Unfortunately for him, his attempt succeeded.

To be fair, even his own teacher and ex-teammate had failed to understand the true nature of the seal that Naruto had been burdened with since the day of his birth. The seal's creator, the Yondaime, had made great strides in the study of seals and had discovered a new approach to the problem of sealing Bijuu. Jiraya and Sarutobi, as well as much of the adult population of Konoha, had made a mistaken assumption about the nature of Naruto's abundant chakra.

The seal did siphon off a measure of the Kyuubi's chakra, but it didn't use it to bolster Naruto's chakra but instead to oppose it on a constant basis, forcing it to grow ever stronger in response. Naruto's problems with control were due as much to the ever changing flux of this constant battle as the size of his reserves. Indeed, the vast majority of Naruto's chakra was locked away within the seal in constant battle with the Kyuubi's chakra.

Until now when the addition of Orochimaru's 5-element seal caused all the Kyuubi's chakra to be locked away. The vast majority of Naruto's chakra that had never been sensed by anyone now surged out of the seal in a vast wave of azure power.

Under normal circumstances, Orochimaru would have been able to survive the results. If he had any idea of the true nature of what he was doing, he would have placed safeguards beforehand. If he had been even 5 feet away, his reflexes would have gotten him away with survivable injuries.

But he was in physical contact with the seal through his fingers and his tongue was wrapped around Naruto's body as the seal released Naruto's hidden chakra with such force and speed that it raced up Orochimaru's chakra network faster than his nervous system could transmit the signal. The small percentage of Wind natured chakra that was part and parcel of Naruto's unique chakra signature (which is what chakra paper responded to) sliced apart the nerve cells before they could even transmit a signal to the next in line. Orochimaru literally never felt a thing as he was reduced to a thin red mist on the forefront of the chakra explosion.

Naruto himself was unharmed as his body was already attuned to his chakra, although all of his clothing and equipment was shredded apart on an almost molecular level. As for his team mates, they too were rendered naked and were slammed into several trees. The only reason that they would survive would be the fact that they had been marked by Naruto's chakra during their mission to Wave. They also avoided major injury from impact with the trees because the trees themselves were being reduced to sawdust by Naruto's chakra at the time of the impact.

The initial wave of erupting chakra formed an azure dome over a half a mile across before dissipating, leaving a clearing that was scoured down to bedrock with all the debris being blasted throughout the forest and even beyond it's boundaries. The unbelievably fine chakra charged dust formed from the obliterated trees, soil, and stone of the cleared area caused respiratory distress for all the occupants of the forest below high Jonin level as only they had the power and skill to protect their lungs from it.

The Exam was cut short as medical teams rushed in to rescue the afflicted teams and proctors. The Sandaime himself arrived first at the flat bottomed crater for he had recognized the chakra signature of the explosion as Naruto's. The discovery of the naked forms of Sasuke and Sakura at the edges of the crater only heightened his worry as he made his way to the column of swirling azure energy that continued to rise at the center. He could make out Naruto's form within the column as he floated within it, gently turning in place. The seal on his belly stood out in contrast as it was glowing a soft red color instead of the flat black it normally displayed when Naruto was channeling chakra.

Sarutobi took a deep breath in shock as he made out the 5 foreign seals that were glowing a diseased purple. He recognized the 5-element seal and the signature of the chakra that had formed it. His rogue student had been here and had attempted to prevent Naruto from using the Kyuubi's chakra. He gave orders for ANBU to summon more squads to hunt for Orochimaru while he weighed his options.

Although he would prefer to have Jiraya release the seal, there was no time to wait. He ordered everyone else back as he prepared the 5-element seal release and plunged his hand through the pillar of Naruto's chakra, accepting the damage it did to his hands and arms in order to remove the tainted seal.

Naruto's chakra withdrew into his body and Sarutobi barely managed to catch his collapsing form before he hit the bedrock below. Sarutobi gave out a sigh of relief as he registered Naruto's continued breathing and pulse. He laid down Naruto's unconscious form in order to get treatment for the bleeding cuts on his hands and arms that he had gained from his brief exposure to Naruto's runaway chakra.

The relief was cut short as a recognizable sense of killing intent began to emanate from Naruto's prone body just before a pillar of red chakra emerged, causing Sarutobi to retreat in shock. He could see the face of the Kyuubi forming in the swirls of red chakra as it seemed to scrabble to get away from Naruto's body. But the red chakra was being pulled back and an unearthly wail of anger and pain was heard across Konoha as the struggling Kyuubi was dragged back into its prison.
For the purposes of this one shot, the seal acts like a teeter-totter or a balancing scale with some Kyuubi's chakra on one side and most of Naruto's on the other. The seal acts to keep the two sides roughly even but maybe a smidge in Naruto's favor. ;)

As for when Naruto seems to draw on the Kyuubi's chakra: If he starts to deplete his ready reserve (the chakra outside the seal), the seal transfers a portion of the Kyuubi's chakra to the other side to keep the balance even. This allows the Kyuubi's chakra to mix with Naruto's and causes the physical changes to occur.

What do you all think? Edited with some fixes after I got some sleep.
Last edited by Jasruv on September 29th, 2009, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Re: Jasruv's One-shots

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 29th, 2009, 2:22 am

Very nice work, though the first sentence is a bit of a run-on. How long do you think it will take the Leaf to figure out that the Roach is dead, for good? And this is an awesome departure point for an AU, because now not only is Sasuke non-cursed, but the Roach is out of the picture, and the Sound is pretty much gonna collapse on itself unless someone else takes the reigns. And whoever does step up, probably won't have the power, reputation, or charisma that the Roach had, and so be unable to contain the experiments, gather in more missing nin, or gain allies.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Jasruv » September 29th, 2009, 2:36 am

Well, Sasuke and Sakura are going to have problems because I'm seeing them as having the imprint of Naruto's chakra being burned into their chakra networks, linking them to Naruto. Also the simple fact is that the Chakra Surge was probably felt on Temujin's continent and is going to draw a lot of attention to Konoha and Naruto. (Razzenfrazzen Madara and his frelling hax jutsu)

But its late and I'm sleepy so that's all for now. (( Insert Yawning Emoticon ))
Edit: Added this chapter that I wrote while going over the first part.
~ ~ ~ Scene Break ~ ~ ~

Sarutobi drew deeply on his pipe as he took a much needed break in his office. Ever since he had felt the enormous pulse of Naruto's chakra earlier, he had been on the go coordinating the medical crews and dealing with the visiting jonin sensei of the injured genin. Few fatalities resulted due to his medical teams prompt response to the emergency. Most of the genin taking the test and the proctors would survive after a period of hospitalization to help them clear their lungs of the ultra fine dust. In fact, somehow the dust had worked as a cure for Hayate's condition even as it had almost killed him. The swordsman was still in intensive care but the sickness that had been affecting his lungs had been killed off by the dust.

One of the few who had died was the son of the Kazekage, for which Baki, the sensei of the Kazekage's children, had been demanding answers. Gaara had a massive allergic reaction to the dust from which not even his sand could protect him. He had died before medics could reach him. His siblings hadn't displayed any excessive reaction and it wasn't until the Sandaime examined the child himself and saw the seal that he figured out for certain that Gaara had been a Jinchuuriki. He had suspected it from previous spy reports and the child's actions while in Konoha but the confirmation had made Sarutobi angry that Suna had placed such an unstable shinobi with deliberately weak seal in the Chunin Exam. When he had brought that up with Baki, the Jonin had been immobilized with fear as he had been facing 'The God of Shinobi' and not 'Sarutobi the Kindly Grandfather'. Sarutobi then told the rigid Suna jonin to bring it up with Orochimaru as he was responsible for the explosion.

That was the cover story that Sarutobi had been pushing all day which had the advantage of being true in a way. The cover story was helped by the fact that the initial chakra explosion had consisted of entirely human chakra. He had informed the Council that the Kyuubi's attempt to escape and the wail it had released was an after effect of the initial chakra pulse affecting the seal and that any further meddling had the very real chance of releasing the Kyuubi. It had shut the Council up and it might even be true for all that Sarutobi knew.

He had been aware that there were aspects of the Shiki Fuujin seal that neither he nor Jiraya could figure out the workings of, but obviously their mutual understanding of Naruto's seal was fundamentally flawed. He would have never anticipated the reaction that had happened with the forest of death when Orochimaru had applied the 5-element seal. If Sarutobi had ever faced a berserk Naruto that was using the Kyuubi's chakra, he would have applied the same seal as his rogue student.

Naruto and his team mates were being kept in secure wing of the hospital with several of his most trusted ANBU keeping an sharp eye on both the genin and their doctors. All three were stable, with Naruto being largely unharmed and the other two bearing extensive bruising and some moderate lacerations. The most worrying thing about the three was the fact that all three had almost exactly matching vital signs. Heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, all locked together. One of the ANBU was a Hyuuga and he reported that Sasuke and Sakura's chakra systems had been imprinted with Naruto's chakra signature somehow. The imprinting probably explained why the two had survived mostly unscathed when everything else in the area, including their clothes and equipment, had been obliterated. The medical experts on chakra were at a loss as to what it would mean to their ability to use chakra. It may result in a condition similar to Rock Lee's where they would be unable to use chakra for Ninjutsu and Genjutsu or they may have some type of allergic reaction if they attempted to use chakra.

Sarutobi sighed in resignation as he made his decision. He had already sent a priority recall to Jiraya to help him make a serious attempt to understand the seal, but this tangle involving Team 7 meant he needed the greatest medical mind ever produced by Konoha to return. The only way to ensure her compliance would make him feel slimy but he could no longer indulge her in her grief. With a firm but reluctant hand he began to write the recall order for Tsunade.

~ ~ ~ Scene Break ~ ~ ~
The next bit is probably going to be a dreamwalking sequence as Team 7 visits each other's memories. Sakura is going to be the most affected but the ideas are still percolating about that bit.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Greybane » March 22nd, 2010, 3:14 pm

This is actually pretty good. Ever gonna write that dream sequence?
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby SirKaid » March 29th, 2010, 7:25 pm

I'd definitely be interested in seeing this expand to a chaptered fic.
SirKaid

Unread postby Jasruv » May 6th, 2010, 9:56 am

I'm back. For a while anyway.

My internet is back on but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up long term. It's going to depend on how my current job pans out.

I have been trying to write the next segment of this fic idea but I'm having a real hard time trying to write the dream walking experience that Sasuke and Sakura go thru. I've tried about half a dozen or more attempts but the stubborn thing just won't flow out of my head right. :futile:

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for a purified version of the Sharingan? I'm going to be using the concept that the normal Uchina version of the copy eye uses Fire natured chakra tainted with trace amounts of demonic youki to explain why it grants such powerful abilities at the cost of the bearer's sanity. I mean think about it, the highest levels of its powers can only be gained by killing the person you care for the most in the world? And then to keep from going blind, you need to take the eyes of your own sibling? To my way of thinking, those are pretty good signs that the original deal that created the bloodline was with a demonic power.

Sasuke is going to find out on his dream walk that he would have always trailed behind his brother in the use of the Sharingan because Itachi had a Fire primary affinity while Sasuke only had a strong secondary Fire affinity( Lightning being his primary). If the Sharingan needs fire natured chakra to operate efficently, it could explain why the Uchina clan made such a big deal about teaching their children the Grand Fireball jutsu. The minimum amount of fire skill/affinity to perform the Firebal jutsu is about the same as is needed to begin manifesting the Sharingan.

The reason that Sasuke had some problems learning to perform the jutsu is that his primary Chakra affinity is lightning instead of Fire.

Anyway, Naruto's chakra has become actively antognistic towards youki as the result of the seal(this why Gaara died in the forest, the the youki from his demon acted like a lightning rod for most of Naruto's released chakra) and both Sasuke and Sakura are going to have to learn to function with a steady stream of Naruto's highly dense chakra feeding into their bodies. I'm thinking it is going to be several months of training for the two in order to be able to do any of their jutsu as their control is going to seriously nosedive.

If I can ever get the dream sequence written down in a way that doesn't suck, I'll post it.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Jasruv » July 11th, 2010, 1:48 am

Here's a really short piece of an PB that had been gnawing at me recently.
Harry watched in horror as Sirius stumbled backwards towards the Veil of Death, even as he desperately attempted to bring his wand around to cast a summoning spell to save his godfather. But Sirius had been too close to the Veil when Bellatrix's spell had hit him and even Harry's seeker level reflexes weren't fast enough.

Fortunately for the escapee from Azkaban, he was stopped short of the veil by a hand grabbing the collar of his robes. What shocked Harry and the other observers was that the hand was attached to an arm that extended from within the Veil!

The arm flexed and Sirius was thrown through the air towards Harry, who managed a cushioning spell to prevent his godfather from breaking any bones from the harsh save. All spell fire within the room paused as the figure who had saved Sirius emerged from the Veil.

It was a short man with tall spiky hair, dressed in some weird combination of jumpsuit and armor in blue and silver. The man was floating several inches above the stone floor with his arms crossed over his chest and an arrogant sneer on his face. His entire body was covered in yellow glow that had occasional blue sparks flowing through it. Every person in the room had an overwhelming sense of doom pressing down on them as the figure's eyes met their own as he scanned the room.
I'd like to see if anyone can guess who the figure is.
The figure is going to be a guardian for Harry because the powers that be of Harry's world are fed up of Dumbles mass cluster-f!@#. The figure is going to keep Harry safe from both Moldyshorts and the Order of the Flaming Chicken so that Harry can actually do his job without so much interference what is suposed to be his side.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Stormseed » July 11th, 2010, 2:22 am

I'd like to see if anyone can guess who the figure is.
The figure is going to be a guardian for Harry because the powers that be of Harry's world are fed up of Dumbles mass cluster-f!@#. The figure is going to keep Harry safe from both Moldyshorts and the Order of the Flaming Chicken so that Harry can actually do his job without so much interference what is suposed to be his side.
Well, as long as he can keep from powering up for days on end... ;)
Stormseed

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » July 11th, 2010, 2:58 am

And so long as he doesn't let his pride get the better of him. Though the whole issue with Cell reaching his perfect form and then wiping the floor with him should have cured that particular issue.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Jasruv » July 13th, 2010, 11:49 am

Cool, you guessed! :biggrin:

I've been trying to come up with a semi-original idea for a guardian/ally for Harry fic and I've haven't seen one where the new character comes out of the Veil.

So I was playing around with possible characters that would possibly emerge from the theoretical land of the dead that exists beyond the Veil. The idea of an Vegita from several decades ( or centuries!) after the events of the Fusion Reborn movie who was seeking to be with Bulma, Trunks, and any possible grandchildren etc... and is going through his own personal Labors to achieve that came to me.

Vegita is still going to be a major jerk but is honestly seeking redemption. And some of the scenes I have in my head about how Vegita vebally lays into Dumbles while swatting aside spells like annoying gnats are both amusing and annoying me. Mainly because I can't decide wheither to go with Good!Senile!Manipulative Dumbles or Evil!Manipulative Dumbles.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » July 13th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Personally I'd go for Good!Senile!Manipulative Dumbles, simply so Vegeta can show him, and the Wizarding World at large, that (warning, tropes ahead): "Good doesn't mean Nice"
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Jasruv » July 13th, 2010, 12:36 pm

True. but I have this little fragment/idea where Vegita reveals that Fawkes tried to leave Dumbles after trying to mentally talk him away from veering into darkness and Dumbles then enslaved Fawkes 'For the Greater Good!'.

Sometimes I get very . . . irrate with Dumbles when I think of all the stuff he's done to Harry and others, in Canon no less.

The main problem with Evil!Dumbles is trying to figure out some twisted but insanly powerful reward that would justify all the things he did to Harry. Dumbles had so much power in the Wizarding World that he why would he go through all that effort unless the reward was worth it?

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Darkandus » July 13th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Portray him as someone who views political power as too much hassle to weild and instead prefers to personally screw everyone over while maintaining the I'm a good guy illusion. Basically a god among IRL trolls.
Darkandus

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » July 13th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Why does he have to be evil to do it? Use it as a way to show how far into senility he's already sunken, where he thinks that he knows better than even a phoenix.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Thozmp » July 13th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Mind if I use the idea of someone coming out of the Veil? Not necessarily as a guardian/mentor to Potter, but just that Siriuss trip through managed to trigger someone/something's release. Perhaps it was even Voldi's goal to trigger that release and the prophecy is just a red herring.
Thozmp

Unread postby Jasruv » July 13th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Mind if I use the idea of someone coming out of the Veil? Not necessarily as a guardian/mentor to Potter, but just that Siriuss trip through managed to trigger someone/something's release. Perhaps it was even Voldi's goal to trigger that release and the prophecy is just a red herring.

Go ahead. Most of the pieces that I have for this are more rant type stuff, so I don't know if I'll ever make a proper fic out of 'em.

A quick question. Did Rowling give more details about the Fidelius in the seventh book?

I ask because I will probaly never read it. I was rather dissappointed at the end of the OOTP and when I finally got around to reading the HBP, I was so disgusted that I lost all interest in the fandom. I didn't even read the Authorlord's Nightmares story until a few months ago because of it. I was originally brought onto the Viridian Board by Team 8.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Jasruv » August 17th, 2010, 2:48 pm

It's been a month so I'm double posting.

This is an old Buffy the Vampire Slayer Plotbunny I typed up a long time ago.
Time: The day after Sunnydale collapsed.
Place: A motel near the first hospital they came across.

Buffy Summers slowly climbed up the ladder that led to the roof. She needed to be away from the newly empowered Slayers that had survived the final fight of the Sunnydale Hellmouth. The combination of grief and guilt that she felt around them was choking her. As she climbed onto the roof of the motel where the uninjured were staying while the injured were being treated at the hospital, her hopes of privacy to deal with her feelings faded away as she spotted the silhouette of Xander Harris sitting on the low wall that ran around the edge of the roof.

Buffy squashed her sudden desire to leave and wearily went to sit beside one of her oldest friends, her Strength as she had told him not long before. She hadn't lied when she had told him that, even if she had been manipulating him to take himself and her sister away from she had felt was going to be Pyrrhic victory at best. There had been so many times that he had given her the strength to go on or helped dispel the depression that seemed to have dogged her life for the last several years.

Not that he was perfect by any means because there had been several times when she had come within a hairsbreadth of tearing his head off because he had made her so mad sometimes. But in the end, for every one of those times, he had come through for her at least a half a dozen times, so the balance was definitely positive.

The guilt she felt when she saw him was different from what she felt when she saw the former Potentials, much sharper in some aspects but somehow it didn't make her want to run away screaming. Much, anyway.

Buffy sat down next to him on the wall and looked out over town. She hadn't caught the name in all of the chaos surrounding getting the wounded seen to and finding places for everyone else to stay.

“Hey, Xand.”

“Hey, Buffy.” The flat, tired tone of his response confirmed her suspicions that he was still in shock over the battle and the loss of Anya. She had also caught his flinches when entering brightly lit areas and suspected that his missing eye was also giving him problems. She also doubted that he was taking proper care of it or taking his pain pills when he should. He had been far more coherent than he should've been the last couple of days.

Buffy still had serious resentment towards her friends and Dawn about being forced to leave her home but had mostly forgiven Xander while thinking about things as she had walked through the deserted Sunnydale streets before Spike had caught up with her that horrible night. She could still remember the slight slur to his words as he had spoken his piece and felt that he had been seriously under the influence of his pain meds. And frankly if anyone had had a right to be pissed off with her and her poorly planned raid on the vineyard, it was certainly the guy who had his eye gouged out while saving two of the girls from Caleb and his Bringers. Especially when he had given such a rousing speech to the then-potentials about how much Buffy cared for them just before the event.

Buffy blew out a long breath before speaking.

“Xander. . . about your eye. I'm sorry that. . .”

Xander interrupted her.

“Don't be, Buff. I've known since the Harvest that this isn't a game we're in. I've always gone into every fight knowing that I'm probably gonna die or be maimed. I'm just the 'normal' guy fighting demons after all. I could have walked away a bunch of times, but I chose to keep fighting at your side. Ultimately, its been my choice which also means its my responsibility. Not yours, Buff.”

Buffy couldn't look at him as her view of the town blurred with her unshed tears. His flat and tired tone just made his quiet bravery stand out all the more. She wondered what she had done to deserve such loyal friends. Even with the shaky state of her current relationship with Willow, Willow and Xander had both been there for her so much since she had met them on her first day at the original Sunnydale High. Even with all of the pain and grief that living on the Hellmouth had given her, she counted herself doubly blessed to have had their friendship. None of her so-called friends from her pre-slayer life had stuck by her, being all too eager to abandon her after she had needed burn down the Hemery gym when she was first Called.

Wordlessly, Buffy scooted over to Xander and extended her arm around him in a gesture of mutual support. After a long moment, Xander reciprocated the gesture and the two battle worn survivors just sat there and took what comfort they could as they grieved over their losses.

Neither could be bothered to stir when they heard someone coming up the ladder sometime later, the both of them simply too tired and drained to care.

“Hey.” came the voice of Buffy's sister, Dawn Summers.

She took no offense at the lack of response and just moved to sit on Xander's other side and mirrored Buffy's earlier action. Xander's free arm encompassed her as well as the three just sat there and tried to deal with every thing that had happened.

Buffy was the first one to tense as all sounds from outside the rooftop suddenly stilled. Her head came up and whipped around as a voice spoke.

“It's time, Xander.”

Xander untangled his arms from the Summers sisters as they each shifted to defensive postures away from the wall. Xander on the other hand, simply got up and started walking towards the man who had appeared from nowhere.

“I suppose it is, Frank. But I thought you were going to come get me when I was alone, so there wouldn't be any tearful goodbye scenes?”

The man(young Kris Kristofferson with grey hair, beard and long handle bar mustache) shook his head ruefully.

“Figured I grab both of my students at one time, including the new one and her sister. I've got to admit that I loved watching the expression on The First's face when your friend there Ascended and screwed Its plans to Hell and gone. Your faith in her wasn't misplaced, she blew everybody's plans out of the water.”

Buffy interjected a question at this point.

“Xander, who's your. . . friend?”

The last said with a uniquely Buffy combination of curiosity and menace.

“Frank, could you explain? I'm just too tired at this point.”

“Sure.”

Frank turned to the two Summers women.

“Last year when Xander here faced down his friend Willow, he didn't get off scot free. In order to face her down and survive the spells that she threw at him, he had to reach deep into his soul and tap into the very core of his mortal essence. The short, simple version is that when he did so, he in effect Ascended himself into a Higher Being. Normally, there would a period of time when he would have come with me for training to learn how to control his new powers and abilities but he made a convincing case for an exception to be made. At his request, I sealed him back into his previous mortal form so that he could be there for you two and his friend Willow when she got back.”

Buffy and Dawn looked at Frank and Xander in shock. Frank ruefully shook his head as he continued.

“He gonna need more time for training now because his power has been increasing behind the seal. If we delay much longer, its gonna take him decades or maybe even centuries for his control to catch up with his power. ”

Dawn spoke before Buffy.

“So Xander and Buffy are PTB's now?”

Buffy shot Dawn a questioning look.

“Hello, Buffy. He mentioned you Ascending to mess with The First, so therefore you'd be a PTB as well.”

Frank interjected into the brewing sisterly squabble.

“Now, I never said that Xander or your sister were one of the Powers, just that they were becoming Higher Beings. To be one of the Powers That Be, either Above or Below, requires the swearing of Oaths to abide by certain rules and such. Since Xander and Buffy here Ascended themselves and didn't have any assistance from another Higher Being, they are free agents. Mostly.”

“What do you mean, mostly?” Xander asked, a bit of curiosity making his tone less flat.

“Well, your first actions when you Ascended were to simply survive. That didn't bind you to anything specific. However, Buffy's first actions were to supercharge all the Slayers fighting the Turok Han. That means that she has already bound herself to the Slayer line to a certain extent. It shouldn't stop her from developing other interests if she wants, but one of her areas of interest is always going to be the welfare of Slayers.”

“Hold up. Time out. Your saying I'm a freaking Higher Being now?”

“In the process of becoming one actually. Why do you think The First was so scared when you got up after taking that sword blow through your liver? Not even Slayer healing would have saved you from that kind of injury. You were so focused on beating The First, that you quit trying to draw more power from the Slayer essence and instead drew from the deepest part of your own human soul. When you succeeded at that, you started becoming a Higher Being and The First knew that Its plans were ruined.”

“So you're here to what, force us to leave our friends? And what do you want with Dawn?”

Frank gave out a long suffering sigh before answering Buffy.

“You need to come with me for training in the control of your emerging powers or the results will make your friend Willow's Will Be Done spell look like a parlor trick.”

Buffy winced internally as she remembered that incident when Willow's grief over Oz leaving her had driven her magic to make Xander literally become a demon magnet, blinded Giles, and made her and Spike fall in love and plan marriage.

“What do you mean?”

“You've bonded yourself to the protection of the newly called slayers and Faith. As your power grows, it will start to flare and surge out of control. Kinda of like those doorknobs, alarm clocks, and all the other things you destroyed with your boosted strength when you first became the Slayer in LA. One possible example of what could happen is that one of your Slayers might get in trouble and your power might instinctively lash to protect them by blowing up everything around them. All of them. Even the ones that are currently at home or around civilians. Eventually, your powers might block all air from getting to them because it could be carrying a disease or a poisonous gas, only to end up killing them through suffocation.”

As Buffy digested that warning, Frank continued on.

“As for Dawn coming with you for training, I figured that you wouldn't want to leave her unprotected for the PTB to draw into their plans. Plus, the dampening spell the Monks cast during her creation to help hide her from Glorificus is starting to fade and her ability to generate portals is going to start to manifest soon. I can start training her to be able control her ability as well as in general magery to allow her to better defend herself in the future. She isn't a exactly a normal human by any means and I count her as a fellow Higher Being in need of training. Plus the fact that you are most likely to be more receptive to training if you can physically reassure yourself that she is safe is enough for me to bend the rules slightly to train her.”

Xander turned to face Buffy.

“Buff, Frank here is a neutral trainer for self ascended Higher Beings like us. My memories of talking with him were sealed away at the same time as my powers but I remember it all now. I really think that we are going to need the training to keep our new abilities and powers under control. Apparently, the last time a self ascended was left alone without training, several cities were razed to the ground by accident. The only reason I stayed behind last summer was to take care of you and Dawn and to make sure that Willow was going to be okay.”

Xander's shoulders slumped as his weariness returned.

“And I... I just need some time away from all this to get my head on straight. All of the crap that the freaking Powers That Be have been shoveling down on us for the last several years has just gotten to be too much. No matter how hard we try or how well we handle the latest big bad, they just send bigger ones. We all need a break, Buff. I figure that if we get this training done right, we can come back and let the others get a chance to recover. Faith can handle training the new Slayers, Willow will handle any mojo that needs to be done, while Giles and Wood will start recovering the Council's resources. Frank said that the dimension that he uses for training is like that slave hell you mentioned breaking up in L.A. a few years back. We can spend years getting our heads back together and training and get back here a few days later.”

Xander managed a crooked grin as he made a last point.

“Plus, you won't have to work at a Doublemeat Palace to make ends meet like you did last summer.”

The classic Xander irreverence in that line brought an involuntary grin to Buffy's face while Dawn laughed out loud briefly.

Buffy forced herself not to jump at the chance to get away from everything and ask.” What are we going to say to Giles and Willow? You know they'll raise a big ruckus about this.”

Frank answered her.

“They wouldn't even notice you're gone for several weeks. I've already laid down a minor compulsion spell so that they would question where you are or why you left. They'll just figure that you guys are doing something that needs doing even if they can't remember exactly what that is.”
One thing this brought up is all the aftermath fics that have somebody on the outside saying that Scoobs were arrogant or careless for performing the Awakening spell for all the Slayyers.
:rant:
The Scoobs weren't expecting to survive that battle and they weren't even sure if they were going to cause a significant loss to the First's forces. They had no idea what the Amulet was going to do or even if it was going to work. That is why Buffy sent Angel back to LA to form the next line of defense and they went ahead with Slayer Awakening. The Potientials that weren't in Sunnydale were going to be targeted by the First and the spell would give them at least a fighting chance.

The Scoobs and the SITs basically did the same thing that the Spartan 300 did in the movie, they held off a numerically superior foe at a chokepoint in order to buy time for the rest of the world to prepare. As it turned out, the amulet did work and it pretty much destroyed the entire force of Turok-Han, but the Scoobs prepared for the worse and in my opinion were correct for doing so.

So any way, this has Buffy, Dawn and Xander all going off to another dimension for training and coming back to really ruin the PTB's day. I hope to get inspired to write out the rest of this fic someday but it just kinda stops right here as far as inspiration goes.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Satori » August 17th, 2010, 4:06 pm

While I totally sympathize with the sentiment, I'm starting to get a little tired of the "the PTB's are jerks" shtick.

Just once i want to see a sympathetic portrayal of them.

That said, I like your idea. Very original, and sue free, unlike almost every other similar work i've seen.

just... try not to willow bash okay? This could very easily go that way.
Satori

Unread postby Jasruv » August 17th, 2010, 7:48 pm

While I totally sympathize with the sentiment, I'm starting to get a little tired of the "the PTB's are jerks" shtick.

That said, I like your idea. Very original, and sue free, unlike almost every other similar work i've seen.

Sorry, but I really don't like the actions the PTB have taken in either Buffy or Angel. Although I usually consider the PTBs to be the writers as opposed to some ineffeable beings.

5th season Buffy is such a Buffy-bash, the writers go out of their way to pretty much break her down in every way possible.

Joyce's death, finding out that her sister was an implant, Riley turning into such a loser and leaving her the way he did. Just one massive shock after another until Buffy was probably glad to take the leap just to get away from all the pain.

Plus, she was fighting a freaking Hell-Goddess! It was so much of a mismatch that the PTB should have intervened personally or at least gotten a more powerful agent to step in and handle things. Which makes me think that either the PTB are doing things the way that they do for their own amusement, or they lack any stronger agents than Buffy and the Scoobs. And if it is the latter, why do they act like their strongest agents (Buffy and Angel) are at best minor players in the fight?

So, in my opinion the PTBs, as protrayed in canon anyway, are pretty much jerks.

I think that at best the PTBs suffer from 'Not-Invented-here syndrome' or basiclly think that they are the only ones who can come up with ideas and that the mere mortals should just do what the PTBs tell them to do with out question. It is a very irritating attitude that comes thru from what the Oracles did and said on Angel.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Willow in the story, that is one of the areas I'm waiting on inspiration on before I could move on with this story.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Satori » August 17th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Sorry, but I really don't like the actions the PTB have taken in either Buffy or Angel. Although I usually consider the PTBs to be the writers as opposed to some ineffeable beings.

5th season Buffy is such a Buffy-bash, the writers go out of their way to pretty much break her down in every way possible.

Joyce's death, finding out that her sister was an implant, Riley turning into such a loser and leaving her the way he did. Just one massive shock after another until Buffy was probably glad to take the leap just to get away from all the pain.

Plus, she was fighting a freaking Hell-Goddess! It was so much of a mismatch that the PTB should have intervened personally or at least gotten a more powerful agent to step in and handle things. Which makes me think that either the PTB are doing things the way that they do for their own amusement, or they lack any stronger agents than Buffy and the Scoobs. And if it is the latter, why do they act like their strongest agents (Buffy and Angel) are at best minor players in the fight?

So, in my opinion the PTBs, as protrayed in canon anyway, are pretty much jerks.

I think that at best the PTBs suffer from 'Not-Invented-here syndrome' or basiclly think that they are the only ones who can come up with ideas and that the mere mortals should just do what the PTBs tell them to do with out question. It is a very irritating attitude that comes thru from what the Oracles did and said on Angel.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Willow in the story, that is one of the areas I'm waiting on inspiration on before I could move on with this story.
What i was trying to say that yes, by canon, the PTB are jerks, but just once I'd like to see them justified/explained rather than vilified and "dealt with". Because there are already thousands of fanfics where the PTB's get some form of comeuppance.

Not that i want to discourage you from writing your thing. just sort of throwing that out there in case someone can come up with an explanation for why the PTB seem to be so darned ineffectual.
Satori

Unread postby Phht » August 18th, 2010, 1:07 am

Not that i want to discourage you from writing your thing. just sort of throwing that out there in case someone can come up with an explanation for why the PTB seem to be so darned ineffectual.
What if The First Evil was one of the PTBs, or at least their evil counterpart? I mean, he is The First Evil. And the only seen member of the PTB - Jasmine - in Angel was trying to gain a corporeal form and rule the planet. Which is what this guy is trying to do.

Therefore the reason the PTB seem so ineffectual during the series is because the First Evil is hobbling and hindering their efforts while trying to advance his own plans. As a result, the PTB are unprepared when he goes overt with the attacks on the Potentials and Watchers (maybe he blocks their access to Earth just before he kicks off his campaign, which is why the amulet came through W&H rather than a servant of the PTB).

The Master's efforts to open the Hellmouth? Buffy and Angel getting groiny and desouling? The Mayor? Walsh starting work on Adam? Glory being stranded on Earth? The Monks putting the Key into a body and making it Buffy's sister? Buffy's leap? Her resurrection? Willow's descent into darkness? ALL influenced by the First Evil. The PTBs were mostly scrambling to react to what had been set in motion in an ad hoc fashion.

And perhaps after "Chosen", the PTB seal away the First Evil with the aid of the Senior Partners (who are now the evil counterparts to the PTB). Now that there's not "all seeing" evil throwing everything out of whack, the PTB can more directly aid their chosen ones to bring them back up to where they should be to balance the evil.

Would that work as an explanation? :innocent:
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » August 18th, 2010, 1:26 am

It works. The thing that never sat too well with me was the whole "balance" bit. Sure, balance is important, because one side is a screaming horror-filled hell, and the other is a stagnant utopia, but still. From what I've seen of human nature, there shouldn't be a reason for the PTB to actually *need* to work at keeping a balance. Humans on their own are pretty damn awful given the chance, and when they find those bits and pieces of knowledge that put them in contact with beings like the Senior Partners, they become truly horrific. The PTB should have focused on supporting their champion, and working towards keeping the impact of the naturally occurring baddies to a minimum. The very act of them doing this would keep their own resources tied up and unable to impact the world at large directly. Leaving the human race and the various benign demons to sort themselves out on their own.

Instead we've got Ivory Tower whitehats who might as well be wearing blackhats themselves, treating their "champions" as disposable tools instead of valuable and long-term resources.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Jasruv » August 18th, 2010, 2:45 am

Instead we've got Ivory Tower whitehats who might as well be wearing blackhats themselves, treating their "champions" as disposable tools instead of valuable and long-term resources.
Exactly!

The sheer waste that the supposed side of 'light' seems to embrace is mind boggling. Thousands of Slayers, most of whom were apparently drafted unwillingly, all dying grusome deaths after only a year or so of empowerment? Huge waste of lives. Of course they were (sarcasm)just human/mortals, no big loss(/sarcasm).
Its one thing for people to die for a cause like protecting Humanity, but for the so called leaders of that cause to simply waste those lives is just aggravating. If the Watcher's council was treating the Slayers in a way that the PTBs didn't approve of, Why didn't the PTB take steps to fix that behavior?

The Council is dealing with the Slayer and the fight against the Dark, so they were perfectly valid targets for intervention. But they didn't do that so the PTB condoned the Council's treatment of Slayers. (Crucimentium, Lack of Financial Support for Faith, Sending Wesley to replace Giles, the whole review power grab during the mess with Glory)

I find it easier to believe good things about the Dursleys in Harry Potter than the PTB in Buffy and Angel.
Anyway, It won't a physical slugfest that happens when Xander, Buffy, and Dawn get back from their training. After all, most Higher powers have long since lost the need for a physical form.

Instead, the struggle is going to be about areas of interest and influence more than any thing else. I was kinda setting that up when I did the bit with Buffy being somewhat bound to the Slayer Line.

The way I'm seeing it, Powers (either Higher or Lower) have areas of interest that allow them to use their powers more efficently but also allow them to be attacked thru those areas of interest.

Dawn is going to be a powerful mage(not a wiccan witch) who can generate portals very easily.

I may have Willow being relegated to the second string for magic as she has proven to be kinda addicted to it. She would still do minor things and help out in dire needs but mainly she would be encouraged to be tech support Willow instead of Red Witch Willow.

Most of the rest of this fic refuses to come into focus so this likely would not become a real fic anytime soon. Just thought I would post it because I thought it was an interesting take on the events of the last season of Buffy.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » August 18th, 2010, 12:30 pm

So what about Xander? Will he merely retain his Wild Card status? Or perhaps refine it?
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Satori » August 19th, 2010, 1:44 am

What if The First Evil was one of the PTBs, or at least their evil counterpart? I mean, he is The First Evil. And the only seen member of the PTB - Jasmine - in Angel was trying to gain a corporeal form and rule the planet. Which is what this guy is trying to do.

Therefore the reason the PTB seem so ineffectual during the series is because the First Evil is hobbling and hindering their efforts while trying to advance his own plans. As a result, the PTB are unprepared when he goes overt with the attacks on the Potentials and Watchers (maybe he blocks their access to Earth just before he kicks off his campaign, which is why the amulet came through W&H rather than a servant of the PTB).

The Master's efforts to open the Hellmouth? Buffy and Angel getting groiny and desouling? The Mayor? Walsh starting work on Adam? Glory being stranded on Earth? The Monks putting the Key into a body and making it Buffy's sister? Buffy's leap? Her resurrection? Willow's descent into darkness? ALL influenced by the First Evil. The PTBs were mostly scrambling to react to what had been set in motion in an ad hoc fashion.

And perhaps after "Chosen", the PTB seal away the First Evil with the aid of the Senior Partners (who are now the evil counterparts to the PTB). Now that there's not "all seeing" evil throwing everything out of whack, the PTB can more directly aid their chosen ones to bring them back up to where they should be to balance the evil.

Would that work as an explanation? :innocent:
Yes, thank you!

Though I've always wondered why so many people take the First at face value. He;s evil, why wouldn't he lie to make himself seem more powerful than he is. First Evil is just a name. I doubt he's as much of a fundamental force of nature as people make him out to be. Something that powerful and alien wouldn't bother with something as minor as the slayer line.

Dawn is going to be a powerful mage(not a wiccan witch) who can generate portals very easily.

I may have Willow being relegated to the second string for magic as she has proven to be kinda addicted to it. She would still do minor things and help out in dire needs but mainly she would be encouraged to be tech support Willow instead of Red Witch Willow.

Most of the rest of this fic refuses to come into focus so this likely would not become a real fic anytime soon. Just thought I would post it because I thought it was an interesting take on the events of the last season of Buffy.
It's much less of a headache to pretend the word "wicca" was never mentioned in BtVS, ever. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to me rant about neo-paganism, eclecticism, and religion for like a page, just because. :p

And then Mod help your if Reagun reads your fic.
Satori

Return to “%s” One-Shots, Drabbles, and Miscellany