Public discourse

Public discourse

Unread postby SLAMU » June 1st, 2011, 7:08 pm

Students are crammed into the hall, which seems less crowded than it should for some reason. They are talking to each other, some getting along like a house on fire, while others wishing the others’ houses were on fire. At one end of the hall was a slightly raised dias with a simple podium behind it. Seemingly, no one noticed it until an elderly man in dark robes with a long white beard standing behind it cleared his throat.

“Greetings, beings one and all, you who have come to learn here at Scholomance. Here you will learn the most important things of your lives, things that will determine where you go in life. It matters not where you come from to this place, but henceforth you shall be from Scholomance, as it will mold you in ways that you do not yet realize. Those that graduate from this school are all remarkable individuals, each revolutionizing any field they care to spend their efforts on. Each of your careers, your very lives shall be most interesting to follow as we soon depart this hall to begin our studies.

A quick word of caution to the unwary. Many of our staff do not take kindly to interruptions in their work, so students are not to approach teachers or other staff outside of classes unless informed so by the staff themselves. Likewise, while those of you who are curious are certainly allowed to explore our halls to your content, be warned that those who stray from the beaten path do not always return.

Your time is your own, though students are encouraged to attend classes. This is, after all, a school. You will each be assigned a place to stay, though you are by no means obligated to remain there. You shall be provided with the basic things you will require, though if you can procure more advanced, comfortable, or simply better things for yourself, again that is your prerogative. In short, this school is your oyster, you have but to pluck the pearl from it.

Now you will have an hour to choose your lodgings. When you claim your Atelier, you are asked to stay there until a schedule for classes is delivered to you. Breakfast begins two hours after you receive your schedules. Don’t be late.”

With that the Headmaster dissolves into a puddle of shadow that then evaporates under the light of the open flames. The sound of doors unlocking and unbarring themselves can be heard, and students begin to file out of the hall in ones and twos and small groups, intent on securing the most pleasant residence for their stay as they can.
SLAMU

Re: Public discourse

Unread postby gman391 » June 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm

Shawn shrugs at the headmaster's entrance. He begins looking for the least crazy people he can. Strength in numbers.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Arganaut » June 1st, 2011, 7:27 pm

'Oh, oh my yes, lots of people, lots of strangers. Come, come now Othello, keep up.' Amidst the crowd of normally or darkly dressed folk, there walked a young man, dressed about in a bright, if amazingly inappropriate colored, set of clothing.

A short-sleeved t-shirt of a lavender color, a sun yellow jacket with an orange colored-patch covering a hole in the elbow, hot pink skinny jeans with green shoes, and a purple wide-brimmed hat to go along with it. Adjusting the hat and somewhat tightening his rainbow scarf, the young Othello Maria Tiddles The Eighteenth, Esquire moved about the students, garnering odd, and sometimes amused, looks from his peers.

The young man, despite the bright smile on his face, couldn't help but feel nervous as he looked about the students, finding himself in a position he hadn't in quite some time: the absolutely new student.

'Well now, I can see why some of the fellows were so nervous. Not easy being thrown into some place entirely new, with no one around to help orientate you to something familiar.' The young, brightly colored illusionist thought to himself, taking a deep breath as he forced a big, wide smile.

'Come now Othello, cheer up. If you're feeling like this, imagine what all these other people are feeling like. They're absolutely new too, don't know a person here and have just come a long way from home. You're not alone Othello, you've got something in common with every single student here.' Othello thought, before looking at his finger tips. 'Well, two things in common, maybe more.'

'But that just means that I need to get out there and introduce myself. We won't be so new and out of the water once we all have some friends to confide in. We might lose the first thing we have in common, but then perhaps we'll find we have so much more in common.' Othello thought, his teeth starting to show as he smiled brightly. 'Well then, I'll start trying to introduce myself, go pick out a room and then really start looking around the place come breakfast.' Othello decided, adjusting his hat slightly as he walked.

"Hello there, Othello Maria Tiddles The Eighteenth, Esquire." Othello started introducing himself to whatever student walking alongside him would listen, shaking hands and smiling brightly as he, along with the other students, made their way for their quarters.
Arganaut

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 1st, 2011, 7:29 pm

Elizabeth was dressed in a long sleeved blue shirt and grey slacks and stood around quite aimlessly. She, with her two rolling bags with her duffel bag strapped to one of them, looked around the emptying hall and walked to a nice, relatively undusty corner to wait everyone out. Unzipping one of her bags, she pulled out the book 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' and sat down on the ground to read.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby ewuvi » June 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm

Clara crept into the corner, standing near Elizabeth, who she gave a curt nod before leaning against the wall, watching people walk by.

She was a bit nervous about her sharpening oil having spilled; it was dreadful to clean up. On top of which, she was unaccustomed to large groups of people. Adjusting from her single-child home to this insane mob of children would be a stretch.

Spotting a brightly colored boy romping about, she gave a small smile. That would be an interesting one, for sure.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 1st, 2011, 7:49 pm

Benny looked over at the rather brightly dressed boy who had just introduced himself with the longest name he'd ever heard someone having the misfortune to get stuck with. Pinning back a lock of black hair under the band of the welding goggles that he'd taken to wearing, the hispanic teen gave a half-hearted smile in return. "Benny DeTauros. So, what got you caught up in the dragnet? Guy who came for me said something about alchemy." As he speaks Benny adjusts the bookbag that contains his laptop and tool kits. Other than the overly large military surplus bag, Benny is wearing worn jeans with smalls splatters of paint and burn marks. His shirt was concealed under a zipped up leather bombers jacket.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm

Elizabeth sensed someone coming near her and looked up to see a girl nod at her. She stared at her for a few seconds, before returning to the book with hunched shoulders.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Arganaut » June 1st, 2011, 8:01 pm

Othello had nearly gone on to introduce himself to another student, before the young man heard someone, seemingly, speak to him. He quickly turned his head, a big smile on his face as he looked at the Hispanic young man walking beside him. Othello grinned a bit as he nodded.

"Good to meet you Benny. I'd, ah, introduce myself but, well, that'd be just a tiny bit redundant." Othello said with a small laugh, outstretching a hand. "I ended up in this rather amazing school through some skill in illusions. Was quite good at it back in Wales." Othello said, a tiny glimmer in his eye.
Arganaut

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 1st, 2011, 8:06 pm

"Welsh huh? Half Spanish and half American m'self. So what tipped you off on your skills? Some of the models I put together and painted started obeying my commands a few years ago." He takes the other boy;s hand and gives it a hearty shake, though taking care not to grip too hard.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2011, 8:06 pm

A girl with long, ash blonde hair stands near one wall. She scans the crowd of students, grey eyes seeking - what? She herself is not certain. Someone trustworthy, perhaps.
Kirana catches sight of a young man wearing the most singularly impractical outfit she has ever seen, and she smiles at the sight. That one, she expects, will be entertaining. She makes note of the name he gives the other boy with whom he is speaking.
She cannot wait too long, she knows. Space is being claimed, and those spots not chosen are not chosen for a reason. Yet still she stands by the wall, and keeps looking.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Arganaut » June 1st, 2011, 8:15 pm

"Oh, you know. I walked up to my dad, gave him a big old shake of his hand, thought that his glove would look far more marvelous if it were a bit brighter and-" Othello pat Benny on the shoulder, his jacket shifting from its dark tone to a suddenly brilliant shade of hot pink. "-wallah." Othello said with a great big grin accompanying a dusting off of his hands.
Arganaut

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 1st, 2011, 8:17 pm

Benny looks down at his jacket, then back up at Othello and shrugs. "Ah well, you know what they say. Only Real Badasses can wear pink." His eyes scan the crowd for a moment, before he picks out a girl standing against the wall and looking in their direction. "What say you we introduce ourselves to yonder fair maiden?" He nods in the direction of the girl.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » June 1st, 2011, 8:18 pm

The incredibly flamboyant man was a no go. Shawn pities the poor boy's name though.
In truth he doesn't want to room with anyone. But given the general feel of this place he needs people he can run with.

The ash blond haired girl on the wall. She's watching...planning? Regardless she looks like she's normal and probably a good ally to have. With that in mind Shawn walks up to her.

"Hello I'm Shawn."
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2011, 8:21 pm

Kirana chuckles at Othello's antics. Oh yes, that one will be most amusing.
Noticing that she is being addressed, she turns and offers Shawn a friendly smile.
"My name is Kirana. It is very nice to meet you," she says pleasantly.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Arganaut » June 1st, 2011, 8:28 pm

"Real, happy men." Othello said with a grin, looking over to where Benny was pointing. "Well I'd hate to say it my dear man, but it appears 'yonder maiden' already has a friend to keep her company. Good for her, we'll all need friends around here." The young man said, patting Benny on the shoulder again, this time the color returning to normal.

As Othello looked about the room, he noticed a few students just sitting about on their lonesome. Although some in time would be picked up by some other students, others wouldn't.

'Strength in numbers, I suppose the saying goes.' Othello thought to himself, before noticing something that the young man absolutely could not stand for.

There was a young woman sitting by a corner, her face absolutely buried in a book. Despite having another young woman sitting right beside her, this girl did not hardly budge, just keeping her face inside of that book, talking to no one and with no one talking to her.

How absolutely unhappy.

"Benny, I'll be needing to go do what I do best: socialize. I'll talk to you sometime later good chap, but there's still hundreds of students who don't know who I am." Othello said, giving a nod of his hat.

"I'm sure you won't have any trouble with finding me, just look for the colorful set of clothing sporting a Welsh accent." The young man said with a wide grin, before turning his attention towards the young woman buried in her book. Othello moved through the crowd, shaking hands and introducing himself to the various students that he passed by.
Arganaut

Unread postby gman391 » June 1st, 2011, 8:32 pm

Shawn smiles back. She seems friendly enough.

"Nice to meet you too Kirana." He says.
After taking a moment so that he leaning against the wall with his back. Blue eyes scan the crowds. Searching for other people.
In spite of himself he chuckles at Othello and Ben's antics.

"So how'd you get caught up in this?" he asks her.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2011, 8:36 pm

Kirana leans against the wall next to Shawn, still smiling, and continues to scan the groups of students as she answers.
"Oh, well, a recruiter came by and told me about this place, and there really was no choice," she says airily. "If I want to learn magic, this is the only place to go."
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » June 1st, 2011, 8:38 pm

Shawn snorts
"Even if you don't want to learn magic this is the only place to go."

He looks on as Othello walks over to the bookish girl.

"I don't know about you. But the headmaster has me on edge you know?"
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 1st, 2011, 8:41 pm

Elizabeth twitched as she sensed something come towards her. It was at an unfortunately alarming rate, so by the time she stood up, a rather colorful young man was already right in front of her. She stared at him while she held her book in front of her almost like a shield.

"Can I help you?" She asked, giving him a neutral gaze.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2011, 8:45 pm

Kirana's smile does not falter as she replies, "The Headmaster has his own agenda. Everyone here does. You cannot trust the faculty. They are not here to help you. You cannot trust the Scholomance. It is a place of great peril. The unwary will suffer a fate worse than dying. Even the strong may not survive if they are incautious."
She glances at Shawn, still smiling.
"But then, a lack of wariness is unlikely to be your weakness, ne?"
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Arganaut » June 1st, 2011, 8:46 pm

"Hello there." Othello introduced himself to the rather bookish girl, before turning towards the other lass still sitting. "And hello there, good to meet you both." He said, tipping his hat to both young women as he spoke. "My name is Othello Maria Tiddles The Eighteenth, Esquire. I thought that I'd come over here and introduce myself." The young man started off, rummaging around his coat.

"You two seemed awfully lonely, what with your silence towards the closest person to either of you, so I thought that I might help with that by coming over." He said with a wide smile, pulling out a small bag and popping a chocolate in his mouth.

"Mmmm, delicious." The young Welshman said, before tilting his bag towards both girls. "Want one, its chocolaty?"
Arganaut

Unread postby gman391 » June 1st, 2011, 8:48 pm

Shawn turns to look at Kirana blinking in surprise. Then a wide smile appears on his face.

"Can we be best friends?" he asks.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm

Kirana's smile shifts subtly, seeming happier without being wider.
"I would like that very much," she replies.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Darkandus » June 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm

Maximilian adjusted his blood red frock coat with a put upon sigh. Gazing around the others he started threat assessments. Most were typical, the average angsy youths each with their own particular sob story, probably useful onCe they settled in a bit and the chaff was disposed of. There were a few interesting specimens though. He was getting the most spectacular feeling of incredible danger from a freckle faced girl with an easy smile and curly copper hair. He would try to avoid that one unless nessicary.

Looking around a touch more his eyes passed over the brightly coloured abomination. *Make friends later. Good distraction material.*

Spotting two girls pressed against the wall, one reading a book. The other looking mildly anxious he decided to approach. Mother did insist he get to know some girls after all. Checking over his well shined boots, black trousers, frock coat and crevat, he took a breath and pushed through the crowd. Noticing the Brightly coloured man had gotten in before him. He shrugged it off.

"Good evening Ladies." He turned to the abomination, smiling toughtfully. "And Gentleman. My name is Max. May I have the pleasure of knowing your names?"
Last edited by Darkandus on June 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby bookworm702 » June 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm

Ancell looked around, dressed in a semiformal suit. After the Headmaster's announcement, he felt like his entire world had been turned upside down. This was sounding less like a school and more like some kind of reality show. He had made to try the exits like so many others, when he realized the truth. This was already a test. Now, he just needed to hold back. The best choices for rooms would be taken quickly, but the way it was worded, if someone else could take it from you, it was theirs. It was best to hold back and come up with a plan.

Interestingly enough, several students seem to have come up with the same idea. They had grouped up into pairs, and were talking with each other. The pair closest to him, a plainish girl and a rougher looking boy, were talking. Listening to their conversation, his eyes widened at what the girl was saying.

*She seems to already know what's going to happen. Everyone has their own agenda? ...This is quickly sounding less like a reality show and more like a fight for survival.*
bookworm702

Return to “%s” Day-to-Day Life